No announcement yet.

Let's see the spring food plots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you guys roll the field with the no till drill or use a crimper?
    I'm new to this but want to try.

And when do you do it?
    Do I let my last years fall crop of wheat, oats, peas go through September of this year, spray, roll and then no till?

Comment

I do a modified version for my area and think it’s the best situation for Texas. I spray my fall plot (typically mid April)... this year with temps and moisture I sprayed early at first part of April. Allow to dry and die 14 days then drill and roll..... or broadcast and roll OR SHRED! Both have worked flawless. I spray because our rye, wheat, oats don’t get mature enough to “snap” and kill until mid May or later... that’s too late here. Up north it could be different.
      For fall plots I spray 2 weeks prior (minimum) to planting and typically have to roll and spray due to height to plants to get a kill. With army worms I now plant mid Oct- mid Nov (I think I planted Nov 11 this past year) when I have moisture to plant. With dead “thatch” I just broadcast seed.... and walk away... DONE

Comment

Great info thank you!

So for my fall plots, I can get away with spray, wait 2 weeks, broadcast seed and shred? Done?

Comment

Originally posted by barnag View Post
          Great info thank you!

So for my fall plots, I can get away with spray, wait 2 weeks, broadcast seed and shred? Done?
          As long as you got soil moisture or got it coming. Yes

Comment

Putting the work in

Comment

Good pea germination after 6 days and 2” of rain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Wow all these plots are looking great!

Just ordered a tractor and looking at some compact no-till corn planters....hard to find in TX.

Comment

Got a couple of new plots of buckwheat coming on, and a couple plots of Power Plant plus red ripper peas too.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Planted last weekend and things are coming in fast

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                      Got a couple of new plots of buckwheat coming on, and a couple plots of Power Plant plus red ripper peas too.
                      Y'all is getting the rain.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                        Y'all is getting the rain.
                        Yes we are ! Got another inch yesterday. My buckwheat plots are doing well here at home. I’ll try to get some pics tomorrow.

Comment

Probably lost my sunflower field... millet might make it. We got 6+” last night in about 3 hours. 5 miles North... 1.25”...... 2 miles East 1.25”

I was digging up my landscaping and yard to save my house

IF I would have plowed plots in, it would have been catastrophic!!! Sunflowers will probably just drown. No soil loss

Comment

Checked the “dairy plots” today after a 6+” rain. They look great... but seeing bald spots already from deer. I have a better turnip crip now than I did in the fall, lol. I guess since I planted so late they didn’t germinate (Nov15). Interested to see 1. How long they survive 2. If deer will eat the darn things in the summer? I ain’t seen a single sunflower in these plots. None

Went to cottonmouth today too. Haven’t been in a few weeks. WIPED OUT! I got a good crop of sunflowers still, but the hilltop plot looked like a lawnmower went over it. Didn’t check the “double plot”. We have very low numbers and typically get into late summer, even termination but they cleaned my clock this year. Guess they can go to the protein feeder cause that plots TOAST. Last pic is “hill top”
                            Attached Files

Comment

I got mine in the ground before all this rain. Went throw and mow(and cultipack) with a mix of buckwheat, sunflowers, cowpeas, millet, and sorghum. They were popping up last weekend. I’ll update with pics after this weekends trip.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                                Checked the “dairy plots” today after a 6+” rain. They look great... but seeing bald spots already from deer. I have a better turnip crip now than I did in the fall, lol. I guess since I planted so late they didn’t germinate (Nov15). Interested to see 1. How long they survive 2. If deer will eat the darn things in the summer? I ain’t seen a single sunflower in these plots. None

Went to cottonmouth today too. Haven’t been in a few weeks. WIPED OUT! I got a good crop of sunflowers still, but the hilltop plot looked like a lawnmower went over it. Didn’t check the “double plot”. We have very low numbers and typically get into late summer, even termination but they cleaned my clock this year. Guess they can go to the protein feeder cause that plots TOAST. Last pic is “hill top”
                                Wow, They mowed that sucker down. Interesting to see turnips taking off this time of year.

Herbicide question- I'm going to spray some 'grass out max' clethodim on a couple clover plots that are getting taken over with grass. Can I also spot spray the grass in a plot with cowpeas that only has 2-3 weeks growth? The label says it's ok for cowpeas but don't want to cause any damage to new plants.

Comment

Working...
                                X