X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Young and not close

Comment

Originally posted by TxHuntFish View Post
      I don't understand hunters obsession with finding young bucks to "cull". Let him grow. Probably just a two year old. Will likely always be lacking in the G1 department, but I wouldn't be surprised if he grew them later in life.
      I'm not shooting him nor is anyone else on this lease, but I had a couple guys that are on my lease that want to and I told them that we were going to pass on this deer, but they wanted to hear others opinions. So that's why I posted him. As big as his bases are i think he has a lot of potential to be something. Especially once we start our feeding program in the spring.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

not even close and too young IMO

Comment

Don't know if anyone has said it, but not close

Comment

No on the 13", he is still young

Comment

About 11.5

Comment

too young

Comment

As other have said, he won't make 13. I really don't think it'll matter if he does get shot unless he can act as a tag filler deer later in life to keep someone off a great buck.

Comment

No. Pretty clear in first and third pics that inside of main beams are well inside ear tips, which is the guidance TPWD provides to guage 13 inches.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Comment

nope

Comment

Too young to cull on our place. Definitely not on a place this is the first year of running. We got our own lease about 5 years ago now lots of small business ks with occasional bigger ones but our ratio of does and bucks was our main problem asked lots of questions and got lots of info from biologist..we've been focusing on thinning does and feeding. We're closer on numbers our deer are 20-25% heavier on the scale we also are seeing mainly 10 points and occasionally 12s where we saw mainly 8s and occasionally 10s overall much wider heavier racks etc. I really didn't understand true culling u til talking with my biologist.are y'all on MLD or other program? Know what your counts are? IMO that's more important then worrying about one buck with no brows

Comment

Did y'all lease the whole place or add on into existing lease?

Comment

Very young deer with great potential. Let em walk. Two years from now you will be surprised. Good Hunting

Comment

Originally posted by SCREAMINREELS View Post
                              Did y'all lease the whole place or add on into existing lease?
                              My grandpa had 300 acres leased that borders the eastern boundary for 15 years, He let it go so I leased it and that was followed by a complete clear-cut of the property. No worries though I know deer like the new growth, but I noticed my deer where coming from the place to the east. A few phone calls later and I found out the place was up for lease as well and so I leased it. Added a 1001 acres for a total of 1301. Every bit of it all new. I do know the place south of me is level 2 MLd and the 1001 acres was level 3 last year. Talked to my biologist and the guys didn't turn in any paperwork so she told me that if I wanted to continue the program i would have to start all over at level 1. She also told me it would be half way through season before I would get any tags, so Im not going to do MLD I'm just going into this with all the management in mind. I have a good group of guys so hopefully we can manage it properly. My biologist said she would continue to help me even if I opted out of the MLD. As far as deer they everywhere but very very few does after a month of only two cameras running I have 3 different does. As of yesterday I have about 15 cameras out and 10 plots planted so we shall see what's to come.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Way too young IMO, and nowhere close to 13"...let him get some age, he may surprise you

Comment

Working...
                                X