X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get back at it

Comment

Originally posted by Truckville View Post
      We sponsor a small buck contest in Sour Lake (just for local leases) and the 2 bucks that were 1st & 2nd last year were right about 140. If a buck hits 140 out here, he's a stud. Course these are also 160/170# bucks. I love hearing about the big local bucks.

Good luck Gander. You are making me want to throw a camera up at my mother in laws in Winnie.
      I live around the corner from your MIL, there were 2 studs shot between us last year. One that I had been watching (across the Rd from me) and one that I had never seen. The one I had been watching wasn't recovered he was a 140 class 10. I never saw the second buck but was told it was same caliber.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a dog and am in Winnie, let me know if you need help sometime. I'd bring her for free, she needs the practice. she is TBT certified

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Comment

Well I hunted a different spot yesterday just to rest my spot with the double drop. Saw one big doe and she definitely tempted me. Typical SETX, when I pulled up to the property I found where someone had dumped a bag of corn along side the rode. Called brother and asked if he had maybe accidentally dropped it going to feed one day but I already knew the answer in the back of my mind. It screamed poachers and trying to draw deer out to this road. This is the same piece of property that I shot my 148" 8 point 4 years ago. He had two .22 bullets in his neck when I cleaned him. Pretty disheartening that this stuff keeps going on and makes me not want to even bother with trying to pass some of these good young deer.

Comment

Go get a bag of hair from the barber and fight back.

Comment

Well as I expected the Big Body 8 has reappeared. I hit him right about where I was aiming maybe a tad higher than I was aiming. He was slightly quartering to but his body bent, head facing away if that makes any since, think a semi circle. From what I can tell the arrow hit on the front edge of the shoulder and appears to have redirected back down along the shoulder? It has been just over two weeks since I shot him and his body seems to be in pretty good condition. I sat yesterday evening and saw 4 does, a nubbin, that 3 point that should probably go and a good up and coming 8-9 point, probably a 110" deer. Both "older" bucks were still chasing does quite a bit.

Comment

Also have a buddy who I got into bowhunting this year and we have been trying to get his first bowkill. He was one of those guys that picked up the compound and was naturally pretty good with it so thought killing a deer was gonna be a love of cake. Don't think he took into affect that the deer had to cooperate too. He hasn't even gotten the chance to draw yet and he is quickly realizing it's not a walk in the park. Went last week to hand corn this spot and he started slinging corn around. I told him to place the corn, and he said it'd be fine. Well he had this guy yesterday at 23 yards with only his head and neck visible eating for a few minutes and he caught his scent and made his way out. It's been pretty fun to watch him learn its not as easy as picking up a gun and pulling the trigger.

Comment

Dang, I would have thought that was a dead deer. Glad he is showing back up. Maybe you'll get a second chance. Like the stories of your buddies trials and tribulations too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well my Southeast Texas buck season is done. I have a couple does that I might try to shoot and a spike. Need my brother or his gf to keep after these other deer, and have a buddy I'm on a mission to get his first bowkill.

Comment

Working...
                    X