Jefferson County/SETX 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jefferson County/SETX 2016

As alot of you know through my posts in the past 4-5 years I have really focused on hunting small acreage family property around the Beaumont/Winnie area. I have been successful in taking 2 Pope and Young deer over these past few years. It has been a learning experience for sure compared to where I got introduced to deer hunting in the Texas Hill Country. I usually have 5-6 bow stand setups but I have only started feeding two so far this year. I don't use feeders at all, instead I go every 7 days and spread 3 bags of corn and depending on the stage it is at, will throw out a mineral/salt block. These particular pictures are from the same stand I arrowed my 136" 9 point out of last year on opening day. I have only been feeding for a week. There are some new faces that showed up and one particular old face that I am familiar with as I had him on camera last year.

This is a 3 year old I believe, he might be 4. I'm really torn on what to do. There has been talk that this patch of woods will be clear cut in order to fit more cattle. We own everything East and North of there. The problem is, the only woods around here are some of our stuff to the North about 1/2 mile away and some stuff to the West 3/4- 1 mile away that is not owned by us.

I am very familiar with this bruiser as I had him on cam all last year and had chosen him as a deer I would take if I got the chance. Shooting the 9 point 45 minutes into opening day didn't give me that chance. I think this guy is 6-7 years old, if you search back to my game cam thread last year you will see him in it quite a bit.

These two could really be something given another year or 3. Again, having family land is nice, having family land with such a large family and differing opinions on what to do with it isn't all its cut out to be.

I will try to keep this updated as possible, feel free to shoot out ages for me and any opinions you all might have. I still have alot more work to do and am still holding out hope I find another SETX stud.

the 10 point with the sticker on right side is 5 + for sure nice deer

Comment

Well after looking at these pictures, looks like I will bringing Luke to see his grandparents in October!

Comment

1st deer hard to tell

2nd deer you may be shorting him on age he could be quite old

The last two I think the one on the right is 4 and the one with the kicker 5-6

Comment

You better not let Wilbur see these!

Comment

I hunt Beaumont as well all in the city limits and have for the last 8 years. I have watched deer grow up on camera in that area and have been lucky enough to shoot a few in the 130's. I think you are right on the money on the 8 point that's 6-7 years old. The one with the sticker is 4.5 at the oldest and the other one I would put at 3.5. The worst part is that the rut starts in September in that area and they get hard to kill after Halloween. As hard as it would be, I would try to let right sticker grow another year or two. The biggest deer I've seen in Jefferson County would have scored 170+. He was off walden rd. close to S. Major. How far from there are you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bgbean90 View Post
              Well after looking at these pictures, looks like I will bringing Luke to see his grandparents in October!
              Oh I've got you a great spot

Comment

that 8pt is part brahma

Comment

I would bet that 11 is at least 5 or 6.

Comment

I think that 8 is older than you may be thinking. but again it is hard to tell this time of year especially with all the rain we have had and everything is green. There is a lot off forage for them to eat. By the looks of your gene pool there the 8 may be a cull for you.

Comment

These deer are some bruisers good luck this season!

Comment

These are that 8 last year

Comment

Very nice deer!

Comment

Checked the trail cams yesterday. Got a pleasant surprise from a deer I had on camera last year. Not a giant by any means but he has a cool characteristic as you can tell. Also the 8 is back and sheds his velvet in this series of photos.

Comment

Very cool drop Tine buck. I'm shocked on how early they have shed velvet. I normally don't see any signs until mid/later September. Location I guess.

Comment

Working...
                              X