No announcement yet.

No Rye Grass suggested

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the maximum elbon/clover seed rate per acre to give you a good stand of cereal grains but also allow the clover to flourish in the spring without being shaded out ?

100lbs elbon/6lbs white clover?
    150lbs elbon/6lbs white clover?

Comment

Deer do eat grass. They cannot survive solely on grass as they cannot digest it well, therefore it makes up 10% or less of their diet. They absolutely do eat grass though.

Comment

There's a rye grass in the throw and grow that I've watched deer eat.

I hunt where there are cattle so planting a food plot is really out of the question but I have been known to throw a 5lb bag of throw and grow in my feeder pen. My pen is 32' diameter. I don't know if it helped, but it definitely didn't hurt. The deer where I hunt are far from starving but they definitely have a lot of competition for the good food.

Comment

Thanks guys, and good luck with your fall food plots. I knew this would get some response from you and that is why I started it like I did. Was hoping to get some discussion started and I thought it might stir up some hunting stories. UF, I did not know some rye grasses contained different amounts of sugar (my dumb arse), thanks for that tidbit of info. And I have to agree, it can take over if it goes to seed. And when I plant my rye cereal grain I will do 80 to 100 lbs per acre with 5 lbs of clover or I will add the clover to an area in the food plot where only clover is seeded along side the rye grain seeds.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
            Man, we have killed a lot of deer out of Rye grass patches. There was other stuff to eat, but they seemed to come to Rye grass especially when it was cold. I have family members that still plant Rye patches and kill deer in them.
            I would argue with a biologist about deer and Rye grass consumption. Seen to many eating it. Turkey love it too.
            I have to agree. Cereal rye is definitely more nutritious for them but regular annual rye will draw them like crazy. Pigs will graze in it as well.

Comment

Good topic. I am the ITR for Tecomate here in Texas and one of the most common misconceptions I hear is that if I plant something and it's green in the winter the deer will be all over it! Well, that's def not always the case. Deer are like us in the sense that if they have options they will eat what tastes the best or what they know they are missing nutrition wise. What I recommend most is to plant a mix that has a good variety of seed types especially in the winter for a "kill plot." One of our best seed mixes is called Max Attract. It has a mix of wheat, forage oats, chicory, clover, and nutrigreen winter peas. If your main objective is to have an attractant plot this is a good strategy to keep the deer interested in coming back as the different mixes will mature at different rates, have different tastes and nutrients, and provide a "buffet" so to speak for the deer.

Comment

Retracted. More research here needs to be done. Doing more research shows that may not work unless they are very hungry.
                Last edited by TejasNW; 08-01-2016, 07:23 PM. Reason: retracted for more research

Comment

Originally posted by TejasNW View Post
                  Retracted. More research here needs to be done. Doing more research shows that may not work unless they are very hungry.
                  Doing the research is what made me start this thread.
                  Winter rye grass is very low on the bar when doing food plots, I think most throw and grow has a lot of winter rye grass seed, it may work but I think the seed mix is sometimes made more for the hunter and not so much for the deer when rye grass seed is used. It is a pretty green when things are brown all around. Just food for thought guys

Comment

So did you change your thread title?

Comment

Working...
                    X