Advice needed for feeder area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
    Tall grass = trail cam pics of..... tall grass.
    This will be your worst enemy, unless you are not worried about trail cam pics. If you do want trail cam pics, message gunnyart on here he has awesome T-Post trail camera mounts, the "TMate" will not fail you!

Comment

Update:

Went back to the lease to check cams, fill feeders, and finally get our blinds up. Y'all were right, pigs definitely pushed everything down, downside is now I'm running a pig farm [emoji24]

Need to go back up in a couple weeks and shoot a couple before season starts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I usually mow before I put a new feeder in and then hit my feeder areas with the shredder or weedeater two or three times every summer. But like, others have said, this is mostly so I don't have 2000 pictures of windblown grass and weeds.

Comment

Your pig management plan is a good one, all age classes represented

At least one possible trophy candidate too

How is your boar:sow ratio?.

Hope you enjoy the targets

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
            Your pig management plan is a good one, all age classes represented

At least one possible trophy candidate too

How is your boar:sow ratio?.

Hope you enjoy the targets
            The boar/sow ratio is all out of whack. Easiest solution is to wipe out the whole herd and start fresh
            Last edited by kd350; 07-26-2016, 06:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kd350 View Post
              Update:

Went back to the lease to check cams, fill feeders, and finally get our blinds up. Y'all were right, pigs definitely pushed everything down, downside is now I'm running a pig farm [emoji24]

Need to go back up in a couple weeks and shoot a couple before season starts

Wish I had trail cam pics like this.

Comment

The inside of my pen looks just like that. Having a small deer heard with the pigs penned out, I sprayed and plan to knock it down with a mower very soon.

Looking at that pasture, I'd say you have little or no cattle on the place.

Good luck with the hogs. If you want to have fun shoot them, if you want to get rid of them you'll need a trap.

Comment

For new feeder locations, I've always thrown 2 bags of corn spread out. Lets the deer find it faster and they will knock the tall grass down in the process. It has always worked for me.

Comment

Advice needed for feeder area

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
                    The inside of my pen looks just like that. Having a small deer heard with the pigs penned out, I sprayed and plan to knock it down with a mower very soon.

Looking at that pasture, I'd say you have little or no cattle on the place.

Good luck with the hogs. If you want to have fun shoot them, if you want to get rid of them you'll need a trap.

I didn't really want to fence them out because I like shooting them, but I also want deer [emoji53]

The neighbor is putting cows on it this week and taking them off before season starts

And I'll have to see how much traps are or just try to be efficient in shooting them with ars/shotguns

Comment

Originally posted by kd350 View Post
                      I didn't really want to fence them out because I like shooting them, but I also want deer [emoji53]

The neighbor is putting cows on it this week and taking them off before season starts

And I'll have to see how much traps are or just try to be efficient in shooting them with ars/shotguns

Make your pin where you can remove a section or two to allow pigs in when its not deer season. That is the plan for me at least. about 3 weeks before the season starts close off the pin so the deer have way more than plenty of time to get used to it. Then about a month or two after the season and feeding the deer good protein and cotton seed for post rut, open the pin back up so the hogs can come back.

Comment

It's a toss up on both ends. I've always had a pen since I hunt in cattle country and have never found a place that will rotate the cows.

IMO-if you're serious about the deer, you need to fence the cows and hogs completely out allowing the deer to have UN-molested freedom of the feeder. If your budget allows, set up a second feeder that's un-fenced for hogs / deer.

I do all that I can to make the feeder area a virtual sanctuary for deer, remember they're like a shrimp under a cork at the jetties-skeert for their life at all times. I go so far as to reduce the hunting activity around my feeder if there's not a target buck. This year I don't have a buck that I plan to kill unless something wanders in during the rut. Therefore I won't hunt my primary feeder in the evening or two mornings in a row from a bow blind, keeping impact low and deer more at ease. I'll let my Covert hunt for me.

I'll kill my does on trails or with a rifle off of the oats patch.

I hunt post oak country just south of you so you know what the area is capable of. Using the above methods, I killed 3 deer of 132-135 in a 4 year span. I didn't kill a deer last year and don't plan to kill one this year but have two deer in the 130's that will get a pass. Hopefully they live though the season...

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
                          It's a toss up on both ends. I've always had a pen since I hunt in cattle country and have never found a place that will rotate the cows.

IMO-if you're serious about the deer, you need to fence the cows and hogs completely out allowing the deer to have UN-molested freedom of the feeder. If your budget allows, set up a second feeder that's un-fenced for hogs / deer.

I do all that I can to make the feeder area a virtual sanctuary for deer, remember they're like a shrimp under a cork at the jetties-skeert for their life at all times. I go so far as to reduce the hunting activity around my feeder if there's not a target buck. This year I don't have a buck that I plan to kill unless something wanders in during the rut. Therefore I won't hunt my primary feeder in the evening or two mornings in a row from a bow blind, keeping impact low and deer more at ease. I'll let my Covert hunt for me.

I'll kill my does on trails or with a rifle off of the oats patch.

I hunt post oak country just south of you so you know what the area is capable of. Using the above methods, I killed 3 deer of 132-135 in a 4 year span. I didn't kill a deer last year and don't plan to kill one this year but have two deer in the 130's that will get a pass. Hopefully they live though the season...

I wouldn't mind fencing it off especially since it'll keep the pigs away and let the deer come and eat. I'm curious about hunting trails now; I've never done it and couldn't tell one trail from the other to be successful much less see deer consistently

Comment

Working...
                          X