No announcement yet.

Is this a Mule deer or Whitetail?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like a mulie to me, I have seen 2 at my place down 41 south of Junction. 2 over 20 years, but still.

Comment

Here is a pic of another yearling mule deer buck I took last fall on my lease in the Panhandle. They could be twins.

Yours is a long way from home. I think Terrell County (40-50 miles from you??) is probably the closest county to you that actually has a mule deer season. But there are probably a few stray mulies in Sutton County to the west of you.

If somebody on your lease decides to call it a whitetail during the youth season, I hope they don't get checked by a GW.
      Attached Files

Comment

MD

Comment

muley...look at the tail

Comment

Hard to tell from the pic, but the tip of the tail looks white in the pic. Every mule deer I ever saw had a black tip to the tail.

Comment

Mule deer

Comment

That is a muley for sure. How many folks saying whitetail deer have been around muleys more than once or twice or ever seen the two standing next to each other?

Comment

Speaking of critters running around outside their normal home range.... I saw a javelina dead on the side of the road about a mile from my house here in Abilene today. It is laying in the ditch beside the access road off of I-20 at Loop 322. I saw it yesterday and thought it was a pig, but today I slowed down and took a better look at it. Definitely a collared peccary. That's the 2nd one I've seen here. First one was about 5 years ago on Hwy 351 a little past Wal-Mart.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                    Speaking of critters running around outside their normal home range.... I saw a javelina dead on the side of the road about a mile from my house here in Abilene today. It is laying in the ditch beside the access road off of I-20 at Loop 322. I saw it yesterday and thought it was a pig, but today I slowed down and took a better look at it. Definitely a collared peccary. That's the 2nd one I've seen here. First one was about 5 years ago on Hwy 351 a little past Wal-Mart.
                    I have seen javalena outside Cisco as well....with nature weird things tend to happen occasionally!

As for the thread topic, I agree with you Shane. 100% Mulie.

Comment

I'll say mule deer too, but way out of place. I don't have an explanation why he is in junction, but that sure looks like a mulie to me

Comment

Black tipped tail- mule deer.

Comment

Here is a pic of another yearling mule deer buck I took last fall on my lease in the Panhandle. They could be twins.

Yours is a long way from home. I think Terrell County (40-50 miles from you??) is probably the closest county to you that actually has a mule deer season. But there are probably a few stray mulies in Sutton County to the west of you.

If somebody on your lease decides to call it a whitetail during the youth season, I hope they don't get checked by a GW.
                          Wow. He sure looks like this picture you posted. Maybe he actually is a Muley. Suprised but cool. Maybe next year he'll be around. Not that I can shoot him. Just cool to see him in person.

Comment

Huge ears......black tip on tail......no white belly.......mule deer

Comment

Originally posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
                              Wow. He sure looks like this picture you posted. Maybe he actually is a Muley. Suprised but cool. Maybe next year he'll be around. Not that I can shoot him. Just cool to see him in person.
                              There is no question that your deer is a mule deer. It's definitely cool to see them expanding their range. I hope that is what is happening, and it's not just one lone deer that decided to go on a long walk.

Comment

There is no question that your deer is a mule deer. It's definitely cool to see them expanding their range. I hope that is what is happening, and it's not just one lone deer that decided to go on a long walk.
                                Me too. Be cool to see them on a regular basis.

Comment

Working...
                                X