Is this a Mule deer or Whitetail?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this a Mule deer or Whitetail?

Got this trail cam pic in a creek on my lease and this ole boy looks different. A couple of us think he's a mule but idk. In the Junction area?!?! Kinda seems like he's lost

Looks like a black tail. Where's this at?

Comment

I suspect that it's a white tail with a funny angle on the tail.

Comment

WOW...boy that looks like a mulie to me...forks...face...tail. Virt impossible to tell if it is a hybrid by looks alone according to TPW. Crazy if true and WAY south

Comment

That deer doesn't belong in the Junction area, I can tell you that for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by BosqueTech View Post
            WOW...boy that looks like a mulie to me...forks...face...tail. Virt impossible to tell if it is a hybrid by looks alone according to TPW. Crazy if true and WAY south
            Lol, they told me they do not exist?...as they gave me a ticket. GW told me you can tell by tear ducts(yep, that is what he said), but they go by tail. Black means Mule deer

Comment

Hard to tell but it looks like a MD to me. If someone can enlarge the pic without losing the quality, you can tell for sure if the metatarsal gland on the outside of the back legs are 3-4" long, then it is a mulie. WT glands are only 1' long. Only true way to tell if it is a hybrid is if the glands are about 2" long, then it is a true hybrid. Antler configurations tell you nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by PYBUCK View Post
                Hard to tell but it looks like a MD to me. If someone can enlarge the pic without losing the quality, you can tell for sure if the metatarsal gland on the outside of the back legs are 3-4" long, then it is a mulie. WT glands are only 1' long. Only true way to tell if it is a hybrid is if the glands are about 2" long, then it is a true hybrid. Antler configurations tell you nothing.
                Yep, and whitetails are more round

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy Bud View Post
                  Looks like a black tail. Where's this at?
                  My lease. In between Juction and Harper.

Comment

Originally posted by bps3040 View Post
                    Lol, they told me they do not exist?...as they gave me a ticket. GW told me you can tell by tear ducts(yep, that is what he said), but they go by tail. Black means Mule deer
                    HA!

Comment

Looks MD to me

Comment

That's a mule deer.

Comment

Mulie all the way

Comment

Mule deer. I can tell by the way it is.

Comment

Definately a Mule deer!

Comment