Tecomate LabLab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GtownBowhunter View Post
    Do you think that in a 20 acre plot i should be worried about this? I was under the impression that planting an area that big would help with overgrazing.
    Unfortunately, I never had luck with lab lab, soy beans or cowpeas until I fenced. 20 acres is a good size plot, but it depends on your deer numbers. The edges will get hit harder than center.

The 2-4 leaf stage on a young legume is critical. Winter wheat and oats can withstand early grazing. Warm season crops.... Not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by DeerGeek View Post
      Unfortunately, I never had luck with lab lab, soy beans or cowpeas until I fenced. 20 acres is a good size plot, but it depends on your deer numbers. The edges will get hit harder than center.

The 2-4 leaf stage on a young legume is critical. Winter wheat and oats can withstand early grazing. Warm season crops.... Not so much.
      Deer density is key. I have had zero problems planting beans and peas on two places in East Texas, but my numbers are low. These are relatively small plots too. Twenty acres should be sufficient to overcome high deer densities though. Be sure to test your soils and provide the correct amenities to maximize potential. Good luck !

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
        Deer density is key. I have had zero problems planting beans and peas on two places in East Texas, but my numbers are low. These are relatively small plots too. Twenty acres should be sufficient to overcome high deer densities though. Be sure to test your soils and provide the correct amenities to maximize potential. Good luck !
        I have a fairly low deer density also so I am thinking it should hold
        up without perimeter fencing. Thanks!

Comment

make sure to post pics along the way!

What planting method do you plan on using?

Comment

Following for knowledge

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
              make sure to post pics along the way!

What planting method do you plan on using?
              I will take pictures after Christmas because I got my fiancé a new camera. I figured I would
              take the pics with that so I don't have to take pictures with my iPhone. Also to be honest I'm not even sure what planting method I will use yet. I'm fairly new to this so what would you suggest? What are the pros and cons of each method?

Comment

Working...
              X