Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Tecomate LabLab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tecomate LabLab

I have been debating on what to feed as a supplement this offseason on 150 acres that my family owns in Belton. Has anyone tried to plant Tecomate's LabLab or any other Tecomate seed products here in Central Texas. I was also planning on planting a winter food plot and I am debating on whether or not it would be worth it to plant a 10 acre plot in the spring and 10 acre plot in the fall. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

LABLAB is the bomb!

I planted it years ago without knowing anything and didn't even plant it right and 50% of it came up. The deer loved it but also hogs rooted most of it up

Comment

LabLab is a spring crop

Comment

LabLab is great. If you can irrigate or get the right rain you will have to run the deer out of it. We used to plant it every year. Mulling over putting it down this year as well.

Comment

You might consider fencing perimeter of plot until it gets tall enough.... Overgrazing will kill the young plant until it becomes established.

Comment

In for this. Sounds like a good spring plot in the making.

Comment

We have water rights out of the Lampasas river. I'm just not sure how much it would cost me to pump the water and how much it would be for the whole irrigation setup. I know that it is probably fairly expensive. My dad also has all his farming equipment on the property because we will be planting about 100 acres of coastal this year so i'm not worried about lack of equipment. Anyone have any insight on pumping the water out of the river and what irrigation set up would cost?

Comment

Originally posted by DeerGeek View Post
                You might consider fencing perimeter of plot until it gets tall enough.... Overgrazing will kill the young plant until it becomes established.
                Do you think that in a 20 acre plot i should be worried about this? I was under the impression that planting an area that big would help with overgrazing.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                  LABLAB is the bomb!

I planted it years ago without knowing anything and didn't even plant it right and 50% of it came up. The deer loved it but also hogs rooted most of it up
                  I have never seen any pigs on our place so i'm good on that front.

Comment

Originally posted by GtownBowhunter View Post
                    Do you think that in a 20 acre plot i should be worried about this? I was under the impression that planting an area that big would help with overgrazing.
                    You should be fine in that large of an area.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                      You should be fine in that large of an area.
                      ok, thanks for the feedback!

I will take pictures of the property and where I want this plot to be whenever I get out there on Thursday on the way to the stand.

Comment

Originally posted by DeerGeek View Post
                        This. Many attempts and never successfully protected the young plants.

Comment

I want to plant that at my place I have a 5ac plot...but I have alot of hogs too..

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
                            This. Many attempts and never successfully protected the young plants.
                            20 acres would be a lot of perimeter fencing

Comment

I no longer plant the big named product line of seeds. Much cheaper to plant other seeds that are available at most all of the seed and feed stores and they most likely will let you know what works well in the area where you plan on planting. the savings on the seed cost might just pay for the irrigation. I will say there are some good top brand seed names that I have not been able to match when it comes to growth. An example would be Eagle Brand Soybean seeds and plants. Nothing I have found comes close to them for forage.

Comment

Working...
                              X