No announcement yet.

Fall plots grow antlers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always talk about planting a good plot but never follow through with it. How much do y'all think it helps?

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
      The clover has never made it to June in a normal year. This past year in late May my clover was looking epic and was primed to last longer than it ever has. Rainfall was great and then I had a flood that backed water onto the clover for over a month. Killed it dead.

Chicory has lasted longer than my clover. I had a small patch of chicory that avoided the flood and lasted well into July this summer. The deer were devouring it too. That's why I expanded my chicory plantings this fall.
      Thanks for the info. That sucks that when you finally get good rain, that is what kills it! I have a clover plot that is going on 3 years in Wisconsin, and honestly it hasn't had a lot of maintenance done to it. Probably needs to be sprayed next year, and grass is taking over part of it. But it amazed me the way it came back in the spring after it was first planted and has kept on trucking. It doesn't seem to be good for hunting after a couple of frosts though. So by October 15th there, the deer don't seem to use it much. (Could be my neighbors pressuring the deer and/or accorns too.) Early fall during cool, but not cold weather the clover is good.

By the way, I do agree with your premise. I think January 1st - June 1st is the most critical time that deer would need to be supplemented.
      Last edited by Kdog; 12-16-2015, 10:01 PM.

Comment

I would tend to agree late season food plot supplemental browse promotes antler growth the following season all things being equal. I also believe that summer plots impact the fawn crop in a positive manner, more so than established sophomore animals.

Comment

Working...
        X