Fall plots grow antlers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fall plots grow antlers?

I think I remember el gato stating several times on his epic thread that he believes that antlers are really grown in the fall/winter the moment you plant a fall plot. Theory being that a deer having ample winter nutrition will be in good body condition and can then devote more "juice" to growing antlers. Also have read alot in general about bucks recovering from the rut quicker with good nutrition are a step ahead of those that don't have it. Makes sense to me.

So if that's true....are summer plots somewhat overrated for growing antlers?

What's the lag time between nutrition and antler growth...is there one?

Does a summer field full of soybeans translate directly to the antlers or was the "growth" already accomplished a few months earlier from the fall plot?

A good plot started in the fall can provide great nutrition all the way into June here in most of Texas. Durana clover and chicory come to mind as great things to plant in the fall that can last until early/mid summer during the bulk of antler growing season.

I know protein pellets are a whole other animal.

Not sure. I'm on a microscopic level compared to el gato. I mainly started planting plots following your threads. I don't go all out. Oats, wheat and clover in the fall, Laredo soybeans in the spring. I liked having the soybeans there this summer. Deer kept coming all summer long and it's much cheaper than keeping a protein feeder full. I'm not sure how much difference it makes, but I enjoy planting food plots.

Comment

Why not both ?

Comment

I have always believed that fall plots/ available natural forage plays a huge role in antler development . My thoughts being that the quicker bucks recover from the rigors of the rut and the stress of winter the quicker they recover. In most years spring rains pick up the shortage when your fall/winter plots begin to dwindle. The two hardest time for Texas bucks are winter and late summer and by late summer they are in the finishing stage. Look at mid-west whitetails. They have ample fall/winter food source i.e. crops . A food source that gets them through the harsh winter is a key.
        Last edited by BrandonA; 12-14-2015, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
          Why not both ?
          Would be ideal!

But summers on my place like 2011, 2012, 2013 and even this summer wreaked havoc for my summer plots.

They were brutally dry summers for me. Fall rainfall has been much more consistent since 2011 for me.

Comment

In my experience fall plots really help the deer. Ours (typically wheat) get hammered every year without fail. Keeping the deer in top condition year round can't hurt anything. We don't really feed the deer up here but have always worked to keep the habitat healthy by planting, mowing, and burning. I think it makes a good difference in lean years and produces exponentially more food than dumping bags into a feeder.

Comment

Well interesting...I think you maybe on to something!

Maybe I need to step up my plots next year and add more then oats/wheat!

Comment

I think you are correct in that the better shape that the deer are in coming off of winter the less resources (food and minerals) it will take in spring/summer antler development. Kind of like the minerals and nutrients going to a young bucks body until his skeletal development becomes more mature and after his skeletal development matures, more of the calcium and minerals go toward antler development. At least that's the way I heard a respected wildlife biologist explain it.

Comment

I know that here at my place we shot a couple of bucks so I started already putting out some protein and the big boys started hammering it already. I figured the food plots I have are not nearly big enough to support the herd numbers so the protein would help them recover quicker from the stress of the rut and get them ahead of schedule for next season.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Bryan View Post
                    I know that here at my place we shot a couple of bucks so I started already putting out some protein and the big boys started hammering it already. I figured the food plots I have are not nearly big enough to support the herd numbers so the protein would help them recover quicker from the stress of the rut and get them ahead of schedule for next season.
                    This is what I did as well. Hoping the protein gives them a good jump in recovery and we can keep the horns we saw this year. This year was one of our best yet.

Comment

I started something different last year and was super impress with the post rut weight gain of both the bucks and does.
                      I always have winter food plots and growing season protein but I fed cotton seed last year from mid Dec-Mar

Comment

The cottonseed is a great way to help maintain their body weight during the post rut and winter. I've been going through about 350 lbs a week at my cottonseed feeder. They just hammer it most months.

Comment

Unclefish - does your clover and chicory typically die off during the summer?

Comment

From talking to a few biologists supplemental feeding at any time of the year is beneficial to antler growth and over all health of your deer herd. I think most can agree that bucks in particular but also does are in the most "need" for additional food or protein sources at the end of the rut due to the increased activity levels and also the decreased amount of natural browse. However, that's not to say that deer aren't stressed at other times of the year. For spring plots I think you have to take into account the does in your herd that will have fawns. Added protein and food sources for them at this critical time and for them to pass on to the new borns can be just as beneficial as added protein in the winter months. To me supplemental protein feeding either through food plots or feeders or both gives your herd an elevated source of protein over and above the natural browse. As such is beneficial to them through out the year. A deer that is healthy and given higher quality nutrition from birth to maturity stands a better chance of being a trophy than one that is not. Because of this we feed protein and make our best attempt at spring and winter food plots.

Just my 0.02

Comment

Originally posted by Kdog View Post
                              Unclefish - does your clover and chicory typically die off during the summer?
                              The clover has never made it to June in a normal year. This past year in late May my clover was looking epic and was primed to last longer than it ever has. Rainfall was great and then I had a flood that backed water onto the clover for over a month. Killed it dead.

Chicory has lasted longer than my clover. I had a small patch of chicory that avoided the flood and lasted well into July this summer. The deer were devouring it too. That's why I expanded my chicory plantings this fall.
                              Last edited by unclefish; 12-16-2015, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X