Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Hunt Strategy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have always liked hunting from an elevated stand especially since you are on short notice. I have seen older deer shy away from ground blinds, at least for a few days. Hand corn for a few days and spread it out liberally in the bushes, grass and brush just to keep them there longer and lets them search for it. Finding a well used trail will be key here and play the wind. One other thing is you can see movement better and cover more area from the trees than on the ground and you could move to their patterns better. JMO and carry a rabbits foot with you.

Comment

Originally posted by glpoe1 View Post
      I have always liked hunting from an elevated stand especially since you are on short notice. I have seen older deer shy away from ground blinds, at least for a few days. Hand corn for a few days and spread it out liberally in the bushes, grass and brush just to keep them there longer and lets them search for it. Finding a well used trail will be key here and play the wind. One other thing is you can see movement better and cover more area from the trees than on the ground and you could move to their patterns better. JMO and carry a rabbits foot with you.
      Thanks, good ideas unfortunately I'll literally see it for the first time when I am sitting down to hunt it.

Comment

Pop up and hand feed. Can your brother throw some corn today to prep the area you'll hunt? Given the size of area, you should not have a problem with attraction. Provided they are not awash in natural food sources, they will scent the corn and come eat.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
          50lbs?!
          Yep. My first few hunts I like to draw them in. If I'm rifle hunting I usually put out 150-200 pounds to get them coming. The more you put, the more deer that find it before it's gone. The more deer the better your odds.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Bryan View Post
            Yep. My first few hunts I like to draw them in. If I'm rifle hunting I usually put out 150-200 pounds to get them coming. The more you put, the more deer that find it before it's gone. The more deer the better your odds.
            Yeppers. If I do the exact same thing.

Comment

Working...
            X