Hunt Strategy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunt Strategy

I have an opportunity to do a little "urban deer control" hunt.

It'll be archery only on 7 acres that my brother owns that backs up to another 70 wooded acres that isn't fenced or posted so I assume recovering a deer shouldn't be a problem.

It's last minute and I won't have a chance to scout it first but apparently it's covered up with deer.

What strategy would you suggest? I'm most comfortable in a pop-up but i could borrow a friends climber if that would be better.

The weekend forecast is predicting storms for the area.

nobody?

Comment

Pop up and throw out some hand corn.

Comment

Hunt trails and travel corridors . In particular where several trails cross or meet. Throw out some hand corn. They will be lot less spooky
        Last edited by BrandonA; 12-08-2015, 06:15 PM.

Comment

I would use a climber. It's seems a little stealthier that way. I wouldn't bother with corn. I'm sure kinda anywhere will be good. Maybe near an oak tree with acorns already there is where I would try setting up. Good luck!

Comment

Yup pop up in the shade somewhere...if you can start throwing hand corn now

Comment

I would go with the climber, I have never had much luck in a pop up. This may be a little different though, the deer shouldn't be as put off by scent.

Comment

Originally posted by Edward F View Post
                Pop up and throw out some hand corn.
                This

Comment

Sounds good.

With thunderstorms forecast I think I'll go Pop-up.

I tested Dunstan Chestnut Magic this past weekend and it made me a believer. I'll try that too.

Comment

Pop up and hand corn.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
                      I have an opportunity to do a little "urban deer control" hunt.

It'll be archery only on 7 acres that my brother owns that backs up to another 70 wooded acres that isn't fenced or posted so I assume recovering a deer shouldn't be a problem.

It's last minute and I won't have a chance to scout it first but apparently it's covered up with deer.

What strategy would you suggest? I'm most comfortable in a pop-up but i could borrow a friends climber if that would be better.

The weekend forecast is predicting storms for the area.

Getting up in a tree is usually better for scent control.
                      That shouldn't be a problem if there's houses all around/nearby, so pop-up should work fine.
                      It's your choice/decision, but just because a property isn't fenced or posted, doesn't mean you have permission to trespass on it.
                      I would attempt to get permission from the owner before you get caught dragging a deer off of someone else's property.

Comment

Probably go with climber myself. Pop up could confuse deer a little as it is a new object for them to look at. I would add some insurance of any Big & J product to through a new food scent out there as well.

Comment

Originally posted by denowt View Post
                          Getting up in a tree is usually better for scent control.
                          That shouldn't be a problem if there's houses all around/nearby, so pop-up should work fine.
                          It's your choice/decision, but just because a property isn't fenced or posted, doesn't mean you have permission to trespass on it.
                          I would attempt to get permission from the owner before you get caught dragging a deer off of someone else's property.
                          Good point

Comment

50 pounds of deer corn and pop up. Urban deer smell humans all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Bryan View Post
                              50 pounds of deer corn and pop up. Urban deer smell humans all the time.
                              50lbs?!

Comment

Working...
                              X