Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great Job!

Comment

Give us a little more story. How far away from feeder did you hand corn? How long did you hand corn?

Comment

That's a great buck! Congrats!

Comment

Fantastic deer... Way to keep after him and change things up a little.

Comment

Originally posted by Sideler View Post
            Give us a little more story. How far away from feeder did you hand corn? How long did you hand corn?
            The place we hunt is only 80 acres in the wide open panhandle so we are extremely limited in how we can hunt. There is no cover on our place so we plant a few small food plots to bring in deer. Last year I built an insulated blind to bow hunt from because there is no cover or trees to put a blind. I put mineral blocks and a feeder near my blind to get them in bow range when the deer come to the plot. ( do a search on here for "80 acre gold mine" for more background )

Yesterday was more the Lord than anything we did. I had been busy at work and had not filled feeders in a while so I suspected this feeder would be empty. I grabbed a small bucket of corn and sprayed it with vanilla and threw it about 20 yards from the blind near the feeder. We had a strong south wind that I guess blew vanilla scent down the draw from us because he came to it on a run. He was broadside to us at 15 yards but was very skittish. I had my bow and my boy had his rifle in the blind. I told him to shoot and the deer spooked and run about 100 yards and turned broadside. My boy put it right in his shoulder dropped him in his tracks.
            Last edited by coldgas; 12-13-2015, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin68 View Post
              I would start putting out hand corn in that area and put a camera on it. He will probably show up to the hand corn during daylight if you can be consistent on putting it out.
              x2!

I don't think he is old. Maybe 4.5

Comment

Great buck. 4.5 is a mature deer. Awesome for anywhere but especially on 80 acres

Comment

Great deer no matter age or score! Congrats!

Comment

Great deer. Lots of character

Comment

Working...
                    X