Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

This one has me stumped.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This one has me stumped.

I'm not sure on his age or what drives him. He never rutted up like the other bucks, he has only shown up in daylight once since we put a camera out in September. He comes in every night around 11 and stays in front of the camera till 230 or 3. I bet we have 2000 pictures of him.
    What do you think his age is and is there any way possible to lure him in during the day?

You could try only feeding in the AM, but he may just stop showing up. Could try setting the timer to throw at 2 or 3 AM to see if he would stay til daylight. My thoughts are worth what they cost.

Comment

There is wheat and winter peas planted there and he was coming in before we put in a feeder. I don't think changing feeder setting would run him off. The only reason for the feeder is to get the deer close to our bow blind.

Comment

Hogg light

Just kidding

Comment

Some bucks will almost always be vampires. This old one-eyed sucker was never on my cams even at dawn or dusk.
          Attached Files

Comment

To answer your questions in your post....I would say 3.5 and upper 130's to low 140's

As far as bringing him in during the day. Can't say for sure. Do you have water close? How many cameras do you have set up in that area? He has to go to water. Set cameras up on trails coming in and out. Try and pin point the bedding area.
            We had a management deer that would feed and drink at night only (had one pic during the day) So we thought we should Set up more cameras at water spots and was patient. After a month he showed up in daylight and made a mistake. You're only catching him on cameras at night. But they move during the day. Just have to find them.
            Just an opinion and not Worth 2 cents

Comment

I would start putting out hand corn in that area and put a camera on it. He will probably show up to the hand corn during daylight if you can be consistent on putting it out.

Comment

I would say at least 4 and I would find a patch of woods close by and hang a stand and hunt him over a corn pile. Best late season tactic I have found on nocturnal deer bucks.

Comment

He may not live there. Maybe he just passes through every night making his rounds. I'd bet you'd have daylight pics of you figured out where he lives...

Comment

I may try the hand corn. I don't have much option on moving my set up and this is wide open country. There is crp to the west with plumb thickets. I think that's where he stays.

Comment

He's probably 5.5 and score in the 160s. Tough to hunt in country like that. Just hope a hot doe can bring him in during daylight.

Comment

Thanks guys. I pulled my card today and he hasn't shown up since Tuesday after being regular every night. Hope he shows up.

Comment

why don't you move cams and try to catch direction he's coming from or going to. Maybe, you can get him in another area.

Comment

4.5, make sure you have timed feeding, not the free eating protein feeders

Comment

He's no longer a mystery after this evening. Apparently he had a thing for vanilla corn because he came running to the hand corn.

Comment

Working...
                              X