X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yup

Comment

Shoot this spike?

Why? Does it really matter if you shoot him or not. More than likely it's a reason to pull the trigger. Which is a great reason for me personally. Just don't try and say it's all about genetics and management. Killing to kill is awesome. Don't justify with false science. I hope he ate good. Honestly he looks poor and not healthy.

Comment

2 1/2 long tine spike is dead every time. This one is at least 2.5.

Comment

No problem passing or shooting. His head/rack don't really match the body. Would shoot him if the owner told me to and not think twice.

Comment

Originally posted by SB09 View Post
            He almost looks sick to me.
            ^yea something doesn't look right about that deer. It looks super poor and run down.

Comment

Yes everyone knows that you kill any and all spikes

But seriously he'd get a pass.

Comment

I would look at your herd in general, are you feeding protein? Regardless of the landowner, does he know good management practices? If you have a well established herd with several trophy quality deer young and old why waste your time and feed this deer and take a chance on him. Will he breed a ton of does? Probably not. But IMO why waste your time on him. Grab one of the kids and let the lead fly. If your relying on this deer to be your future then let him walk. And if this is your future you may have other more serious questions that need to be answered first. But like I said, just my own opinion.

Comment

I never said it was a management kill, I was just giving a few details and not posting a picture without information. All I said was this is an MLD3 ranch that doesn't normally shoot spikes. I was going after a trophy buck and saw this spike two days in a row as well as his 2.5yr old 10pt running buddy. Landowner/family friend/neighbor knew I was really wanting to get some more bow kills, and I'm sure that's one of the reasons I got the green light. I would imagine some of y'all actually know G. Beebe and maybe even hunted his ranch.
                  I don't need to go into the details about the place but to make it short, yes it is heavily managed and produced 160+ class deer the past 4 years (2012 being year 2).
                  And no, I don't shoot any and all spikes Bowtech2010. In fact all the places that I hunt and have a say in the rules, we don't shoot any spikes. Only time I do is when I'm a guest somewhere and the landowner has asked for spikes to be killed. I keep my mouth shut and say yessir and try to get to killing.
                  Posted this up strictly for conversation, not trying to 'educate' anybody on anything. Ready for bow season like we all are.
                  Last edited by Patton; 08-06-2015, 11:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The General View Post
                    I never said it was a management kill, I was just giving a few details and not posting a picture without information. All I said was this is an MLD3 ranch that doesn't normally shoot spikes. I was going after a trophy buck and saw this spike two days in a row as well as his 2.5yr old 10pt running buddy. Landowner/family friend/neighbor knew I was really wanting to get some more bow kills, and I'm sure that's one of the reasons I got the green light. I would imagine some of y'all actually know G. Beebe and maybe even hunted his ranch.
                    I don't need to go into the details about the place but to make it short, yes it is heavily managed and produced 160+ class deer the past 4 years (2012 being year 2).
                    And no, I don't shoot any and all spikes Bowtech2010. In fact all the places that I hunt and have a say in the rules, we don't shoot any spikes. Only time I do is when I'm a guest somewhere and the landowner has asked for spikes to be killed. I keep my mouth shut and say yessir and try to get to killing.
                    Posted this up strictly for conversation, not trying to 'educate' anybody on anything. Ready for bow season like we all are.
                    Man you took that the wrong way. That was in no way directed towards you. When i said you i didnt mean you directly just you in general terms. Just said it in jest being that is the attitude of some. That's what the was for.

Comment

One side said 2.5 the other side said 4.5
                      So he is 3.5?

Comment

One side said 2.5 the other side said 4.5
                        No matter if you take the high, low, or average you made the right choice on that particular spike. That being said, the vast majority of spikes aren't the age this one was.
                        Last edited by SB09; 08-07-2015, 05:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BowTech2010 View Post
                          Man you took that the wrong way. That was in no way directed towards you. When i said you i didnt mean you directly just you in general terms. Just said it in jest being that is the attitude of some. That's what the was for.
                          All good amigo, my bad!

Comment

Kill every spike u can!

Comment

Heck yes. He isn't 1.5

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                                Heck yes. He isn't 1.5
                                +1

Comment

Working...
                                X