Starting a Fall Food Plot - Need Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bloodstick View Post
    This tear is my first to plant a large food plot. Last season i just used a hand rake then broadcast the small "no till" seeds from tractor supply in a little hole in the woods. It didnt do very well at all.
    But my main question is, how long does it usually take for the kill all type sprays to become neutral and not hurt the plot you are trying to plant? And does it negatively affect the fertilizer process if done close together?

Edit:
    I already have all of the equipment needed for this process with the exception of a large sprayer and drag.
    My FIL just purchased a new 80 hp Deere and will let me use it when ever. Also have the mower and a good disc. The pasture i want to plant is an unfertilized hay pasture. It has a ton of potential and we already cut it for hay each year so the soil isnt too horrible. Coastal grows really well all on its own already.
    So my point being, should i spray, or just mow, disc, fertilize, then broadcast?
    Spray.

Comment

If my soil report says our pH is 7.9, how do we get our pH within the optimal range 6.0 to 7.0? I showed it to one of the guys at Turner Seed and he just recommended that we use a high phosphorus fertilizer. Will this help with our pH or should I even worry about our pH level?

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
        If my soil report says our pH is 7.9, how do we get our pH within the optimal range 6.0 to 7.0? I showed it to one of the guys at Turner Seed and he just recommended that we use a high phosphorus fertilizer. Will this help with our pH or should I even worry about our pH level?
        most soil reports show you exactly what to put down to reach the 6.5 ph level. can you post a pic of your report. it should tell you how much per acre/sqft

Comment

Soil Reports from Texas A&M AgriLife Extension

Originally posted by BIG BONE View Post
          most soil reports show you exactly what to put down to reach the 6.5 ph level. can you post a pic of your report. it should tell you how much per acre/sqft
          Here are the soil samples from Texas A&M AgriLife Extension office. The first soil report is for oats:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Soil Sample for Oats.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	24392451

The other sample is for clovers:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Soil Sample for Clovers.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	24392452

Comment

Take that to your local Ag store where you would buy fertilizer and they will get you exactly what you need per acre.

Comment

Thanks for all of your help!

Comment

We are going to get a local farmer to disc up and level our soil really well to help prepare the soil for the first time and then have him come in with a grain drill a couple weeks later. So far, we are thinking of doing a mixture for the first year to see what does well (oats, wheat, rye, white/yellow sweet clovers). I'm also thinking about buying the fall turner seed mix since it has so many different types of forage. I would like to add something that will grow through the next spring and into the summer of at all possible. What are yalls thoughts on throwing out some native perennial seeds (bush sunflower and engelmann Daisy) with the fall food plot? Also, what other perennial seed would you add to a fall food plot in Menard County (West Texas)? Would you add chicory or is there a certain clover that's good for our area (low rainfall)? Thanks again for all of your help,

Comment

I forgot to add that we are also going to add some durana clover.

Comment

Following.

Comment

Working...
                    X