No announcement yet.

Gleaton Chip Ranch Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We finished with 3.23in of rain for the week since we planted on Monday. It seemed that the rain was just a slow constant rain, not much runoff in our area. Hoping that our seed didn't wash away.

Comment

Is that 3.23”. in an electronic gauge?
      My electric gauge never measures as much as the manual glass gauges although both are mere feet from each other.

I broadcast pretty heavy as insurance for those seeds that don’t make it. I bet y’all have some great fields this fall

cool and wet weather predicted next week.

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
        Is that 3.23”. in an electronic gauge?
        My electric gauge never measures as much as the manual glass gauges although both are mere feet from each other.

I broadcast pretty heavy as insurance for those seeds that don’t make it. I bet y’all have some great fields this fall

cool and wet weather predicted next week.

Yes, we bought the Ambient Weather station and it links up with our wifi and sends real time data. Here's the station we have - https://ambientweather.com/ws-2000-s...eather-station

I hope the sub freezing temperatures next week don't damage our winter wheat or oats. Does anyone know if these cold temps will affect the growth of our fields? We normally don't have sub freezing temps this early so I was curious to get yalls thougths.

Comment

I am not a farmer( or play one on tv) but both should be fine in my opinion. Wish we had a little more growth and root system before this frost, but the oats should me fine.
          glad we got the rain to start the plots snd the cool weather to get past the army worms.

amazing how fast plots grow. I hope you have test cages in place already. If not, get some out soon to make yourself proud of the actual growth they will eat

BP

Comment

I stopped by this morning to check on the fields and change the times on our feeders. The fields are looking great and it’s still very muddy. Our rain gauges showed that we got 3.7in of rain last week. I’m hoping that fields will really start growing well over the next 7-10 days with the temps being in the 60’s.

i went by our big pond and saw 70-100 ducks fly off the pond. I’ve never seen so many ducks in my life in our ponds. I’m assuming that since it’s at a constant level that the larger size and the aquatic vegetation attracts the ducks. I would love to get someone’s insights on how we can make it even more attractive to ducks.
            Attached Files

Comment

Here’s another one of our fields
              Attached Files

Comment

Here’s a picture I got of our big pond and some of the ducks we are seeing.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post

i went by our big pond and saw 70-100 ducks fly off the pond. I’ve never seen so many ducks in my life in our ponds. I’m assuming that since it’s at a constant level that the larger size and the aquatic vegetation attracts the ducks. I would love to get someone’s insights on how we can make it even more attractive to ducks.
                  Just by having and keeping water in that part of the world, you should see a bunch of ducks every year. They'll spread out a bit if everyone has full ponds, but with water that size, you should be good.

Comment

More ducks today! There seems to be more ducks each and every week.
                    Attached Files

Comment

No Buck Pics??

Comment

Here are some pictures of 3 of the older "cull" bucks we are going after this year along with the history on each buck. Like I mentioned earlier, we are allowing all of the 3 to 7yr 10+ pointers go another year while shooting these bucks along with 4 other cull bucks.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for showing the buck history definitely helps as a reference point for when I'm trying to make age decisions

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
                            More ducks today! There seems to be more ducks each and every week.
                            I knew that was going to happen..

That is a beautiful sight.

Comment

The food plots are looking good and getting hammered. We were able to shoot 3 doe and 4 bucks this week. All of the bucks we shot are considered as cull bucks as we are passing all of the bigger bucks this fall. Just trying to lower our overall numbers so the rest of the herd has more groceries.

anyone know the plant that I’m holding in my hand? I wasn’t sure if it was chicory or daikon radish.

the two bucks in the Polaris were shot by my son and my nephew. My nephew’s buck was a 3yr old and my son’s buck was a 6yr old. The other buck that was shot was another 6yr old and dressed out at 142lbs.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Here are some of the better bucks we are letting walk. Big Brows will be on the hit list next year. The first buck is a typical 6x6 and the other buck is a 12pt. Both of these bucks will probably have another 2yrs before we think about taking them.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X