No announcement yet.

Gleaton Chip Ranch Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He’s only 7 or 8, right? He likely still has another good year or two in him. My best buck from last year is about 15-20” smaller this year. He’s 9, so I guess we will see what he does at 10. FTR, I did not let him walk by choice last year.

Comment

Yhea Wow u can definitely see his overall frame has shrunk. Well that’s another yr he gets to spread his 10pt genetics. Looking forward to seeing more pics of ur up & commers.

Comment

We set up one of our feeders outside of our high fence near the San Saba river. Should be a fun place to sit and a great view. It will be a great spot for people to hunt and go after whatever they would like.
        Attached Files

Comment

You will have to put a camera down there and see what shows up. If ur place is anything like my place on the San Saba you will have plenty of Hogs!!

Comment

Hunted near the san Saba many river years ago. Lots of pigs. It should be a great stand for guests.

Is that feeder pig proof?

Enjoy your posts and praying for rain for all of us.

Last edited by Big pig; 10-15-2023, 01:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
              Hunted near the san Saba many river years ago. Lots of pigs. It should be a great stand for guests.

Is that feeder pig proof?

Enjoy your posts and praying for rain for all of us.

Yes, this feeder is hog proof. I’ve got a camera on it so I’ll be sure to let you know what we see.

Trying to figure out 7 bucks to shoot this year. Our goal is to shoot one of the worst buck in each age class but it’s getting harder and harder to age each age class. I’ll try to post some of the bucks this week and get yalls thoughts.

Comment

I was able to see all our young bucks ( nothing mature here in an area of high hunting pressure) this summer at the protein feeders.

when they were in bachelor groups, it was easier to compare ages and racks.

I can’t age them well on the hoof, but side by side photos helps.

good luck and a conservative approach is never far wrong.

Did y’all ever put any livestock out there? We have a few cows, but this drought has range conditions awful.

enjoy this cool weather. !

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
                  He’s only 7 or 8, right? He likely still has another good year or two in him. My best buck from last year is about 15-20” smaller this year. He’s 9, so I guess we will see what he does at 10. FTR, I did not let him walk by choice last year.
                  Yes, we have him at 7yrs old this year. We are hoping good rain this next year and that we will take him as an 8yr old.

Comment

I was able to see all our young bucks ( nothing mature here in an area of high hunting pressure) this summer at the protein feeders.

when they were in bachelor groups, it was easier to compare ages and racks.

I can’t age them well on the hoof, but side by side photos helps.

good luck and a conservative approach is never far wrong.

Did y’all ever put any livestock out there? We have a few cows, but this drought has range conditions awful.

enjoy this cool weather. !
                    We didn't put any cattle on our place this year. We have seen more turkey than I've ever seen. Lots of good native bunch grasses popping up everywhere.

Comment

Just picked up the following for 6.5 acres of planting:
                      450lbs of wheat
                      450lbs of oats
                      12lbs of chicory
                      12lbs of sweet river clover
                      12lbs of radish

we are planting a 2.5 acre clearing we just recently made along with our 4-acre plot. We’ll be broadcasting the seed on Monday and then using our cultipacker and/or drag. Hoping the rain chances hold up.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Y’all get planted yesterday?
                        I planted 300+ lbs about 3 weeks ago. No moisture or sprouts yet
                        heavy rain predicted tomorrow.

BP

Comment

Y’all get planted yesterday?
                          I planted 300+ lbs about 3 weeks ago. No moisture or sprouts yet
                          heavy rain predicted tomorrow.

BP
                          Definitely fingers crossed. We planted 500 lbs a few weeks ago. We had a couple of sprouts but not much. Hopefully this week brings it all up.

Comment

My brother and I ended up planting a little over 6 acres on Monday. We planted wheat, oats, silver river clover, chicory, and daikon radishes. One of the plots was already prepped so we just broadcasted the seed and cultipacked over it. The other two larger fields we broadcasted the seeds and then lightly disked over top (1/2in deep) and then ran the cultipacker over it. We received 0.1in yesterday and have received 1.75in so far today. I’m hopeful that we will have some nice green fields come Thanksgiving time.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Good timing

Comment

That is looking mighty fine... Caught plenty of rain today too..

Comment

Working...
                                X