Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How hard are your deer hitting the protein so far?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How hard are your deer hitting the protein so far?

Amounts being posted don't mean a whole lot without some acreage and estimated densities, and if you haven't paneled off your protein feeders, chances are you throwing money down the drain feeding pigs on a nightly basis. Consumption has slowed down a great deal since things greened up in March (coinciding with axis moving off the place). Have only fed 800 pounds since March and I think a good portion of that was eaten by coons and porcupines. Trapped seven coons so far this year with dukes, and the remaining ones seem wary. Haven't been as successful with the porcupines. 460 acres, 2 one thousand pound protein feeders with a fairly dense herd of a deer to every 10 acres after a light harvest this past season in an effort to recover from 2011 drought and heavy harvests in 2012 and 2013. We'll probably harvest a dozen or more this coming season with an good fawn crop expected. Lots of youngsters. Trying to maintain age structure is tough on such small acreage when you have neighbors that hunt.
    Last edited by JMalin; 05-12-2015, 10:04 AM.

Comment

slowed down the last 2 weeks after hitting it hard for a few weeks.

Comment

Still hitting it hard at all feeders.

We feed protein all year.

No pigs.

Comment

I put this in a small feeder. I have 3 that are coming to this pretty good. Anyone else buy some of this? I only tried it cause I had a gift card to Cabellas. Looks to have corn, protein pellets, sunflower seed, alfalfa pellets and soy bean. Also has something sprinkled on it that smells spicy.
          Attached Files

Comment

Protein feeders got filled today. In 3 weeks, we went through 2,125 lbs. It's starting to pick up for us in Schleicher county.

Comment

I'm going through 800 lbs every 3 weeks, just filled again this past weekend. 6k acres, we have about 6-8 penned protein feeders all getting hammered on the lease.

Comment

Heavy bred does are pounding the protein behind the house for hrs at a time as mentioned above, rain or shine. Montgomery County.

Headed to the lease in orange/Newton county tomorrow. I hope to have more to report then.

Comment

Deer have Never Slowed down on our Protein since February. We have avg. about 4.5 tons a month with the feeders running out before filling with the wet weather.

Comment

They are back to pounding the protein in lampasas and back to going through a thousand pounds a week. Cant wait to get the 2000# feeders set up so I don't have to up there every week.

Comment

Originally posted by Mex. Bowhunter View Post
                      Deer have Never Slowed down on our Protein since February. We have avg. about 4.5 tons a month with the feeders running out before filling with the wet weather.
                      That's good and bad

Is your place high deer density? Can't wait to see some TC pics in July!

Comment

Pounding ours the past 2 weeks even with all the rain. We have got 12 inches of rain in May and 30 this 2015 year and still crushing protein

Comment

Deer are hitting ours, protein and cotton seed....remember the deer like the young tender growth, not the old growth.....

Comment

They never stop hitting the protein on our place in Kinney county no matter what the conditions, we have alot of axis and whitetail. They eat more protein than I can afford

Comment

Ours are eating all we feed them and that's around 3000lbs/month.

Comment

Due to the natural vegetation, our deer just started hitting the protein hard in early May...so far they have gone through 2 tons in 3.5 weeks. This is in Menard county.

Comment

Working...
                                X