Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How hard are your deer hitting the protein so far?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How hard are your deer hitting the protein so far?

With all this much needed rain, our deer haven't been needing or wanting that much to do with protein. There is plenty of native vegetation for them right now. We are doing a better job of documenting the amount of protein we are putting out on the entire ranch this year. We have been running 10 protein stations since beginning of March. As of today's filling, (2) feeders needed 250-300 lbs, (3) feeders needed 150-175 lbs, (1) less than 50 and the other (4) haven't been touched. We implemented cottonseed this year in addition to protein, but that has been a non-issue considering they haven't hit it much. I know it will for sure pick up late spring early summer. You won't find me or my wallet complaining too much about this rain.

What are y'all noticing on your place?? We are in Schleicher county.

I'm farther north, but for us it hasn't been a problem because a lot of the good natural vegetation has sprung up. We have a lot of clover and vetch growing that we have never had before and doesn't hurt the bank account as much. It may make for some hard hunting this fall though if the bucks don't have to move to find food, but antler growth will benefit.

Comment

7k lbs in 3 weeks in Oklahoma on 800 acres

Comment

We are in Coleman county. Not hardly touching the protein on our place. The country is so green they are happy right now. Had to work on the coons though.

Comment

Unless you're feeding Double Down protein they aren't touching it at all....

Just poken fun

Comment

Originally posted by BIG BONE View Post
            7k lbs in 3 weeks in Oklahoma on 800 acres
            Is that normal for your place? How many protein feeders are you running?

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
            We are in Coleman county. Not hardly touching the protein on our place. The country is so green they are happy right now. Had to work on the coons though.
            That was one of our first orders of business. Still an ongoing work in progress!

Originally posted by 150class View Post

Just poken fun
            LMAO

Comment

Pretty normal
              High deer density
              7 protein feeders

Comment

We have a high deer density and they have not even eaten 1000 lbs. since January.

Comment

Very low

Comment

Just poken fun
                    Good one!
                    I talked to Matt today he said their ranch has fed 6 tons of the DD less than last year since January 5th. Awesome range conditions so far!

Comment

Hardly touching it. I have a small place but it has good deer density. I filled a 1200lb feeder in January and it still has at least 800 lbs in it. Its greener than green!

Comment

In Freer they aren't eating much at all. It's as green down there now as it has ever been and they just aren't interested, yet.

Comment

Barely touching it in Scurry county.

Comment

Just poken fun

The deer are hammering Double Down on my place. The ranch is greener than I've ever seen it and they are eating as much or more than DRY years. Since January, we've averaged 5 tons of DD and 2 tons of cottonseed every 2 weeks!

No sales pitch intended.

Comment

My deer aren't even touching the small amount (1-2 sec) of corn we are slinging just to remind them its there. The turkeys are coming through mid morning and cleaning it all up.

Place is green, green, green, and thick.....gonna be a good season.

Comment

Working...
                              X