No announcement yet.

2015 Pushmataha County Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Went up its HOT and dry. Tried to disk some small plots the ground is hard and them rocks are brutal! Did see some bucks while we drove around, ran into a bachelor group this morning that had a couple good ones in it. I'll post a couple buck pictures when my dad emails them to me.

Comment

Yessir, this part of the world grows rocks better than most. I'd recommend an abundance of patience. Scratch with that plow enough and get some timely rain and you'll be fine. Are you going to fertilize when you plant?

What are you planning on planting?

Comment

We sent soil samples in and put lime and fertilizer today according to the results.

Not sure what we are going to plant. What do you recommend planting? Yes we will fertilize again.

Comment

Originally posted by Guns_up View Post
          I get protein blocks once a month and everytime I set them out I'm covered up with deer. I never had much luck with them in Texas put they seem to work very well in Ok.

I'm hunting public land and can't run any protein. I think I'm gonna run a couple salt licks and a scrape then head up again a month after that and pull cards and reevaluate.

Comment

Originally posted by arrowslinger View Post
            We sent soil samples in and put lime and fertilizer today according to the results.

Not sure what we are going to plant. What do you recommend planting? Yes we will fertilize again.

Last year we had good results with a fall blend of forage oats, wheat and some rye.

This year we are going to do the same and test some clover as well.

Comment

Originally posted by rhendrix View Post
              I'm hunting public land and can't run any protein. I think I'm gonna run a couple salt licks and a scrape then head up again a month after that and pull cards and reevaluate.
              How good does the salt block work?

Comment

It's just a mineral lick. It's main up mostly of salt but has other trace minerals. I've put them out before and deer and pigs will come by and scrape a hole in the ground trying to get more of the salt and trace minerals and up (eventually whatever you put out leeches into the soil).

Comment

I've had very good results with using mineral blocks. This year has been the first I've used the salt blocks and they've responded well. Like rhendrix says, it leeches into the soil and they get to digging.

I'll be up cycling cams this weekend and should have some to post up.

Comment

Originally posted by Booner Sooner View Post
                    I've had very good results with using mineral blocks. This year has been the first I've used the salt blocks and they've responded well. Like rhendrix says, it leeches into the soil and they get to digging.

I'll be up cycling cams this weekend and should have some to post up.
                    I'm excited for you Booner, can't wait to see the new stuff..

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]

What do you think he weighs?

Comment

I'd guess 280

Comment

We are overrun with hogs right now, will putting some pressure on them get them to move on?

Comment

Comment

This evening we saw a doe, two turkeys and some rabbits as we cycled cams. Will enjoyed seeing that doe. She was standing out in a clear cut watching us like she didn't have a care in the world.

A view of our commute back to camp.

Had two cams with issues but the others made up for'em!

I'll post some up when we return.

Comment

We are about to head up there. Do a little pig hunting, checking cams, feeders, and putting up stands. Will check in when I am back

Comment

Working...
                                X