• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scout for trails good luck

Comment

nicee

Comment

It may be a pain, but, ask if you can fence off the area for food plot/feeder spots and post signs stating 'wildlife food plot' or 'hunting area protected zone'. Try to explain to them why and how if you can get the chance. Maybe THWACK a hog or two and invite them all over and let them see what it is all about! Don't give up, They may like your idea!

Comment

Maybe set up a feeder furthest away as possible. The Sat AM hunt will likely be good, before everyone wakes up.

Comment

another thought. It seems everyone is enjoying the improvements your making, so they could help out if they take the month of Oct off. Get them to agree to tone it done in Oct, in exchange for the improvements.

Comment

Update!

Hey all - yesterday I was able to get down to the land because I had to move my boat down there (really funny story about that I'll put in another thread). I've come to realize a couple of things about the property that are both good and eh.

For one - I have the boundaries marked wrong in the original picture. I'll update that. The entire northwest section of the property is (and should remain) completely untouched. It's just super thick with old creek bottoms, shrub oaks, and great game trails. I hadn't explored it until only a little bit yesterday, but proceeding this year (and hopefully next) that'll be one of my big focus areas.

There are even MORE people with access than I originally thought; and some of the guys are hunters. They've set up one feeder already. But, they are super nice guys. I asked them about it and they said, 'Oh, yeah man - hunt it up all you want, we'll mostly be somewhere else.' We talked strategies and plans, and they were really open. I don't think those guys will be a problem. At least they have the knowledge I can draw from (meaning they wont upset the apple cart of available hunting locations).

The pond...oh dear, the pond. There was a man-made pond on the property right up near the front pasture and barn. Probably..I don't know...80 feet in diameter (maybe oblong). Then they widened it out. Now...oh my word. I'm pretty sure if I play this right, I can turn it into a small duck hunting area. Maybe. Geese for sure, because of the pasture. I'll show it down here.

On to some pictures, yeah?

1) Pond first. This picture is just north of the barn, looking to the east. The treeline is pretty evident, and the pasture is cleared pretty heavily back to the south. They are planning to use the excavated dirt to raise the level of the pasture, then till it. I'd love to make a suggestion to the landowner as to what to plant there, but I need some help - thoughts? (I don't think he'll do crop planting or anything that grows high..)

2) This is a culvert and dry creek bottom that I followed off the 'main road' to get to my first spot, and the first spot. This is one of the more popular roads/thoroughfares on the property, because it leads to the biggest access to the actual creek - but it's also where I've seen multiple deer before. If you walk the creek bed about 30 yards, it dead ends, but you can cover another 5 yards of open ground, and it opens into a second bed (second picture). I set up my camera and hand-corned the area you can see. Kind of a big deal for me, because I've never set up a stand without my old man, never hung a game cam by myself, and never had to scout without him. This'll be the first year he's ever not been with me in the truck.

3) This is an area near the fence line of the northeast section (the populated area). It's about 100 yards from my 'ambush spot' where the game camera is. It LOOKS like a bedding area, but I'm not sure.

4) This is on the road to the 'north point.' It kind of bisects the property into east and west pieces. But, it's a big, wide creek bottom that appears to have been dry for ages, now overgrown with some kind of heavy grass. I really, really want to walk it and figure out something to do with it (there are some tree-stand bearing oaks back in the corner), but I have no snake boots. So..that's on hold for now, but it's a promising spot.

5) This...this is good news. This is the feeder that I told you about that the construction guys put up. Twice daily, and they have a game cam that goes directly to email. And...we have pigs. They showed me a picture yesterday of about 10 pigs huddled around the thing. So, should be a lock to harvest one of them if I'm down there in the right time of day.

For now, that's it. Not much 'developed' from my investment, but with the schedule lately - getting ready to go back to work, traveling, etc, it's been hard to get down that way. But, the opener is a week away and I have a few options. So, we'll see how it goes. I'll probably be making improvements all through the season. Feedback and suggestions are, as always, totally welcome.

-LaS.

Comment

Hey guys,

I know I'm sort of bumping my own thread, but this was tough. Today I did something I've never done. I set up my own tree stand by myself. I bought it, I assembled it, I picked the spot, and I put it on the tree - by myself. I wasn't sure where to put this, but instead of starting a new thread, I figured I'd put it here. My lady had to work today, so I figured I'd sneak off this morning and get some work in. The pictures tell the story.

1) I got this stand from walmart. It's a '2 man' even though it's a little small. Me and my lady should be able to fit - she's tiny.

2) I assembled this bad boy. Took me about 45 minutes on my own. Thankfully I had a friend loan me some tools.

3) The tree in the middle was what I settled on. Funny story - this wasn't where I originally intended to put the stand. But, because I didn't have the time or material to work with what I wanted, this one had to do.

4) After an hour of negotiation, I managed to get it up and rigged by myself. It's totally stable, but not entirely level. Don't know what I did wrong.

5) This is an important picture because it's my primary shot. I didn't take an 'after' shot because I was in a rush. But, most of the really green bush is cut much lower. I trimmed it but 'reassigned' the shrubbery a little lower. I'll need some decent camo, but it clears the best possible shot into the creek bed.

6) This is the look off to the right. Essentially this stand ends up being ok for north OR south wind. For east/west, I'm not sure.

For now, that's it. I re-hung my trail cam after figuring it out. I've progressively moved the feeding area further east on the property, and now I have a shooting lane that's legitimate. I'm super thrilled about this place. It's important to me because...I don't know. Some of you read my thread about the 'letter to dad.' That kind of sums it up. I've never set a stand by myself. I've never had to scout a place, pick a spot, put the gear together, and make it all happen alone. Today, I did. And it felt great. I missed my dad like crazy, but I figured he'd like what I did. So, now I have 'a spot.' Now I can go next weekend and sit and hope with some kind of realism. Now I can pull my trail cam card and really think, 'that's a deer I have a shot with.' It's a new feeling and I'm thrilled.

On the down side, while I was clearing brush, one of the guys that has access to the property rode his 4-wheeler right down to my stand. I was hoping to keep the spot secret, but no luck. I'm really worried that he'll sit my stand without asking. That will be...devastating if he kills one of the deer I've scouted. It's hard to explain, and it's selfish, but this has been a very individual quest. No one else treats this like a hunting property. No one else sees it's potential. I'm hoping that he will be respectful. We'll see.

One last bonus pic. I don't know if you cuts can see it, but at the base of the tree on the right is a very...circular disturbance. I figured it was a place hogs had rooted, but it's too symmetrical. It's probably 3 feet x 4 feet, oval. Not sure what it is. Ideas?

-LaS.

Comment

Looks great man. Nail one! I'm close, will help you track!

Comment

Shameless before bed ttt for recommendations or things I've missed. Can't believe I'm going to sleep at the end of the FSU game.

Comment

"On the down side, while I was clearing brush, one of the guys that has access to the property rode his 4-wheeler right down to my stand. I was hoping to keep the spot secret, but no luck. I'm really worried that he'll sit my stand without asking. That will be...devastating if he kills one of the deer I've scouted. It's hard to explain, and it's selfish, but this has been a very individual quest. No one else treats this like a hunting property. No one else sees it's potential. I'm hoping that he will be respectful. We'll see."

I have been keeping an eye on this thread for a number of reasons. One, because I hunt in a similar geographical area to yours. Two, even though I now have five stands and run two feeders I feel I'm learning much like you are. Three, because I love your optimism and fighting attitude. I hunt at my parents ranch, which is designed for cattle. A lot of open pasture. We have some woods, but within one mile of the wooded fence line are 16 deer stands on neighboring properties. I constantly feel like it is a competition against other hunters. I wish it weren't that way, but it is. I have to lure deer from our deep wooded neighbors and into cattle pasture. I am constantly learning and trying new things.

A new place, new gear, first year solo hunting...there will be a ton of mistakes and things you missed. I make them all the time. My Dad, while he did teach me guns and how to hunt, was never a big hunter himself. AR rules changed everything for me and I had to seriously learn how to hunt all over again. So many mistakes and missed opportunities. All of it was fun and never wasted.

No real point to my reply, I suppose. Keep your great optimism up and know you are doing a great job.

Comment

Working...
                      X