Still New. Totally Lost.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still New. Totally Lost.

Howdy again from the resident know-nothing.

In case anyone missed my first, 'hey guys help me out' thread, head over to the E&T forum about arrows. Got great feedback from the guys over there.

This is a little different, though. I moved out here to Texas with my fiance. Her dad owns a piece of land south of Dallas - about 80 acres. The land is...well, to me it's prime. Some cypress, lots of scrub oaks, some good old oak groves, mesquite, and a couple of fields. Oh yeah, and a kayak-able creek runs through the place, too.

When I got out here, her dad says, 'hey, we have pigs and deer all over the place. Hunt all you want and you can use whatever you like. No one else is going to come down here and do it.' So, I have the keys to the kingdom, as it were. 4 wheelers, tractors, bush hogs, trailers, saws - the whole deal. There are even several types of feeders left on the property from previous owners. I've done a little scouting and located a few 'spots,' that I want.

My dilemma is - I don't know what I'm doing or where to start. In the past, my old man and I hunted private leases, but with a lot of other guys. We were always the 'friend of a friend,' so we got in and got leftover spots. Now, I have...all the spots. I'm working on getting some google earth maps with accurate boundaries.

I guess I'd put the question out there as - if you guys had the farm and it was basically undeveloped re: hunting, where would you start?

-M
    #OTP

Put a feeder and game camera up on a game trail. If you feed, they will come.

Comment

This ^^^^

Comment

Originally posted by LiftAndShoot View Post
        Howdy again from the resident know-nothing.

In case anyone missed my first, 'hey guys help me out' thread, head over to the E&T forum about arrows. Got great feedback from the guys over there.

This is a little different, though. I moved out here to Texas with my fiance. Her dad owns a piece of land south of Dallas - about 80 acres. The land is...well, to me it's prime. Some cypress, lots of scrub oaks, some good old oak groves, mesquite, and a couple of fields. Oh yeah, and a kayak-able creek runs through the place, too.

When I got out here, her dad says, 'hey, we have pigs and deer all over the place. Hunt all you want and you can use whatever you like. No one else is going to come down here and do it.' So, I have the keys to the kingdom, as it were. 4 wheelers, tractors, bush hogs, trailers, saws - the whole deal. There are even several types of feeders left on the property from previous owners. I've done a little scouting and located a few 'spots,' that I want.

My dilemma is - I don't know what I'm doing or where to start. In the past, my old man and I hunted private leases, but with a lot of other guys. We were always the 'friend of a friend,' so we got in and got leftover spots. Now, I have...all the spots. I'm working on getting some google earth maps with accurate boundaries.

I guess I'd put the question out there as - if you guys had the farm and it was basically undeveloped re: hunting, where would you start?

-M
        #OTP
        Welcome to Texas and to the forum! It's hard to give very much advice without knowing your property a little better, but I would recommend putting two feeders up on opposite ends of the place... One set up for a north wind and one for a south wind... The wind will blow from the south about 80% of the time or more, so keep that in mind. As you know, natural funnels are perfect spots for deer to travel along, so a feeder near something like that would be peachy.

Good luck, and welcome!

Comment

Do hunt by or near the creek!!!!

Comment

Welcome! I'd spend a day walking the property, looking for trails, bedding and travel routes. Pay attention to the surrounding properties (sizes, pressure, food sources) set up some feeders and cameras, adjust accordingly. Check it out on Google Earth, post some pictures of the property if you can. Carry your bow or gun now and try and shoot some hogs! Enjoy it! Post pictures!

Comment

I so wish there was a community like this back where I came from. That said, I had my old man, and we had some great times figuring out the stuff that I need to re-learn on my own, here.

There's a chance I'm running down there this Saturday, and if not, almost definitely next Tuesday (part of the deal for getting to hunt is also putting in some labor with a chainsaw - something I'm actually good with). When I go, I'll definitely take pictures. And as soon as I can get a GE map, It's coming up. There are a couple of drool-worthy spots, I'll just need some help figuring out their management. Veteran eyes always help.

Comment

Go to google maps and look at the property AND the surrounding properties. Since your property isn't large enough to hold deer 24/7 you need to know where else they will be in order to establish travel patterns. If the property is fenced then that is always a good place to start scouting to see where they are entering and exiting the property.

Comment

TBH scouting party at the place....

Comment

As stated above ( if you feed they will come). Hop on one of the four wheelers one weekend and go ride the property and get to know it. Look for any signs of deer activity or movement. Trails, tracks etc., if you can afford it set up two feeders on each end if the property and set up cameras. That would give you a good idea of what you have there. If not set a cam in the creek or wherever you find the most signs if activity.

Comment

Originally posted by bwssr View Post
                      TBH scouting party at the place....
                      Time and location?

Comment

Flash update. The picture I'm trying to attach is a really rough outline of the property. The borders are all close, and it's north/south orientation. The lined additions are:

Red: Property lines
                        Yellow: The circle is an existing 'fishing shack' on stilts down by the creek, and the yellow lines are places I've actually seen bucks.
                        Blue: I haven't explored here yet.
                        Brown square: The square is right by the barn. The funny part is - we've caught deer yearlings in live hog traps right there. Can't make that up.

Comment

Looks like a nice place. Good luck!

Comment

From the picture it's looks like a "honey hole".
                            If your over run with pigs I would not put up feeders. This will attract more pigs and pigs tend to run the deer out. My experience. Find some good trails along the creek and set up some cams(4-6) to get a good idea of what you might have on the property.

Comment

I'd try to put a camera in the little opening in the trees just north of your blue circle. It look like a little seperation in the trees and may be a travel corridor. Also to the south where the trees make a really thin line going north across the property might be a good spot. The deer traveling sout to north might follow that tree line for cover to get to the thicker woods and creek.

Comment

Working...
                              X