No announcement yet.

TRAPPING 2014/2015 season thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks both for the responses, I appreciate it greatly.

Yanta, are you saying you would not use the deer meat if it has been frozen already?

I also kept the deer quarters on ice to bleed for several days before butchering, so that is another (negative?) factor to keep in mind.

Comment

No, I was saying that if you already have it you might as well try it. I've never used axis but I'm betting it will work.

Comment

Originally posted by yanta61 View Post
        No, I was saying that if you already have it you might as well try it. I've never used axis but I'm betting it will work.
        Gotcha Thanks for clarifying.

Saw this on FB today, thought it may be helpful to some. Doesn't have all the fur-bearers tracks, but a good amount

Comment

LOL That just reminds me how much I hate Mink!!!!!

On a few sections of the river last year they robbed the hell out of my DP bait..

Nothing like a 20 trap run with all the bait missing.. same run three days in a row..
          Last edited by Tuffbroadhead; 07-08-2014, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Are mink worth trapping?

Comment

Originally posted by yanta61 View Post
              Are mink worth trapping?
              wild mink brought 10.00 each on a good day...

I did not see what wild mink brought on the last sale..

Looks like at NAFA they were 15.66 on the low and 26.00 on the high with a low clearance ratio

I can see the end of the pile....6 more FB1's to tune and 12 Bridger/Conibear 330's and the traps are ready to rock...
              Last edited by Tuffbroadhead; 07-08-2014, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The General View Post
                Just butchered and froze two axis bucks and kept a giant bag full of fat and scraps to bait with this coming season for coyote sets.

Any tips from you guys on using deer meat to trap?

When to use it? What gland/urine/bait (if any) to use it with

To tell you the truth I never had any luck using deer meat at my yote sets. At least in my part of the world

Comment

Tuff the beaver meat is no secret. That's what I use in Idaho. Except for some secret ingredients and the way it looks.

Comment

Originally posted by Whirlwind View Post
                    Tuff the beaver meat is no secret. That's what I use in Idaho. Except for some secret ingredients and the way it looks.
                    Just took a peek at a Idaho Non resident trapping license, 301 and change is not to bad..

Comment

Originally posted by Fergeris View Post
                      To tell you the truth I never had any luck using deer meat at my yote sets. At least in my part of the world
                      There is a heavy population where we trap so hopefully there will be some takes. Trail cams will have to be set as well

Comment

Anybody know any good areas to trap in Katy?

Comment

What a day, its hot as heck in the shop...

Converted 2 dozen Sleepycreeks from standard flat dogs to PIT rod dogs with a SWEET night latch..

Finished and rechecked all 4 dozen FB1's

Made a 1 dozen DP anchors..

There is no way I'm going to fight those Bridger 330's without a setter..those will have to wait till I order one..

Tomorrow I'm going to make up some Birkshires from scratch to have about 6 extra for season..

And what ever else pops into my mind..

Comment

Originally posted by Hillbillie View Post
                            Anybody know any good areas to trap in Katy?
                            Just to the west of town you have the Brazos river..

Comment

Just stopped by and saw Nathan at Buckstop this afternoon
                              Picked up 5 of the FB1 traps to help reduce the coon population at the deer lease

Nathan had a bunch of traps in stock, so stop by and see him

And thanks to the guys that contribute to this (and last years) thread
                              I'm learning a lot of great knowledge

Comment

Originally posted by Aggie PhD View Post
                                Just stopped by and saw Nathan at Buckstop this afternoon
                                Picked up 5 of the FB1 traps to help reduce the coon population at the deer lease

Nathan had a bunch of traps in stock, so stop by and see him

And thanks to the guys that contribute to this (and last years) thread
                                I'm learning a lot of great knowledge
                                Nate is a GREAT guy when I need to order new traps he is THE MAN!!

He has bought some great lures and baits.....he has to hide them in a cooler to keep the smell down in the shop,

Comment

Working...
                                X