TRAPPING 2014/2015 season thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by giterrell View Post
    been using cat food with fish oil.....killed over 50 but still have a few smart ones at spots I have killed 3-4 already.

WHat kind of new bait can I throw at them?
    Something SWEET!!! and change up locations..

Comment

THANKS for posting this. My son and I tiptoed in with 6 traps and we'd like to hit it hard this season.

Comment

Great thread. Thanks. Got a new YouTube subscription now.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasLongball View Post
          THANKS for posting this. My son and I tiptoed in with 6 traps and we'd like to hit it hard this season.
          My advice is to stick with a low number of traps and instead invest in learning to finish out your furs. i.e. skinning/fleshing/stretching and drying that way you will see a increase in return for all the hard work that you put into it..

Comment

I'm trying to get ready....I went to Mccoys today to pick up a few pieces of rebar to make some stakes and drags. I ended up buying a big pile of bent up rebar for $25, Now i have about 50 (10') pieces sticking out the back of my truck.....

Comment

anyone have a pattern or measurements for adjustable coon, cat and coyote stretchers?

Comment

Glad you posted this

Comment

Great post, I have my Dukes all ready to go. My trapping is more about pest control as they are a nuisance on my protein feeder and the ranchers corn crop plus feed storage.

I've added an electronic call and Mojo Critter this and plan to put the 17 HMR to work as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuffbroadhead View Post
                    Way to early to know anything, the last NAFA sale is Sept 4th-7th, and prices have been all over the place and much lower than last year as to be expected with the overall hot winter the rest of the world had with the US in one of the coldest on record.

The last NAFA sale had mixed results and a record offering of near 800,000 raccoons.

Raccoon 778,063
                    63% Sales West/Northern Low $19.02 High $105.00
                    46% Sales West/North Central Low $14.02 High $39.00
                    37% Sales East/North Central Low $10.26 High $29.00
                    20% Sales Western/Semi Low $12.33 High $19.00
                    15% sales Canadian Low $16.53 High $30.00

These are all finished furs green fur prices will be much lower.. As you can see from the numbers clearances were low and prices have leveled out to equal prices from 3-5 years ago.

Beaver
                    34% sales Eastern Low$20.36 High $54.00
                    Western – Mainly Withdrawn and pulled from auction
                    75% sales Section III Low $8.34 High $12.00

Coyote
                    100% sales Heavy Low $88.12 High $155.00
                    100% sales Semi Low $42.92 High $96.00
                    30% sales Eastern Low $22.82 High $78.00

BOBCAT
                    99% sales Western Low $323.07 High $2,150.00
                    98% sales North Central Low $89.40 High $300.00
                    100% sales South Western Low $145.30 High $260.00
                    97% sales Western Canadian Low $209.35 High $550.00
                    90% sales Eastern Canadian Low $88.38 High $185.00

Wild Grey Fox
                    20% sales Eastern Low $28.61 High $35.00
                    35% sales Western Low $25.80 High $32.00

Please remember these are all finished furs and more than likely the best of the best was offered for auction that is why even the low prices seem high, beaver took a MASSIVE loss this year and really has me thinking of what in the world I'm going to do.

Here are my plans as of right now for this year and the trap totals I will be running. But be aware I will ONLY be trapping Mon-thurs of each week on public property this year with specific target animals on my list. Friday-Sun my 12 yr old son will be hitting my ranchers properties to keep the prey species in check.

27 @ sleepycreek No'4s with Paws-I-Trip steel rod upgraded dogs with Night latch.

12 @ Conibear 330's

38 @ Freedom brand FB1's

12 @ Freedom Brand FB1's on order

As you can see we totally liquidated our small animal line as of yesterday and have replaced it with a additional 12 FB1's for raccoons.

Our target numbers for the year are:

500+ raccoons
                    40+ beaver
                    30+ coyotes
                    10+ bobcats
                    30+ Greyfox

As you can see we plan on hitting it hard this year and have made the offer to several people to play along, even working on a deal for film work to be submitted to a few shows and as several of you have requested we are also working on a deal for short how-to's to be filmed for a youtube account..
                    I have everything but the beaver and you are welcome to come trap at my place in Mason any day. I just want them all gone. 2 years ago we had 3 Coyote's show up and harass our deer, some of my tagged does jumped an 8' fence to get away. I hired a trapper for $100 and he caught 3 coyote's, 6 fox, 2 bobcats and 23 coons in 3 days. Well it helped but they are all back in full force.

Comment

Originally posted by wingnut4540 View Post
                      I hired a trapper for $100 and he caught 3 coyote's, 6 fox, 2 bobcats and 23 coons in 3 days. Well it helped but they are all back in full force.

That's incredible.

Comment

[QUOTE=wingnut4540;8749446]I have everything but the beaver and you are welcome to come trap at my place in Mason any day. I just want them all gone. 2 years ago we had 3 Coyote's show up and harass our deer, some of my tagged does jumped an 8' fence to get away. I hired a trapper for $100 and he caught 3 coyote's, 6 fox, 2 bobcats and 23 coons in 3 days. Well it helped but they are all back in full force.[/QUOTE]

That's awesome but you have to stay after them on a regular basis. What you kill in a few days is just what's in the immediate area.

Comment

When you remove an animal, it isn't long before a nother animal will move in to take it's place! This is especially true with coyotes and bobcats!

Comment

Originally posted by wingnut4540 View Post
                            I have everything but the beaver and you are welcome to come trap at my place in Mason any day. I just want them all gone. 2 years ago we had 3 Coyote's show up and harass our deer, some of my tagged does jumped an 8' fence to get away. I hired a trapper for $100 and he caught 3 coyote's, 6 fox, 2 bobcats and 23 coons in 3 days. Well it helped but they are all back in full force.
                            I bet we have a TBH'er in your area that might be able to help you out..

That's a little far to drive for me..

When trapping a area you need to understand there are three layers of animals to any given ecosystem in regards to predators.

You have your residents that live in the area, satellite animals that come and go and full nomadic animals that are just passing through, the residents are easy to catch and the longer you stay at it the more of the 2nd and 3rd teir animals you will catch and really put a hurt on them..takes time and dedication but it can be done by a trapper that's worth his salt.

I just finished up my last customer of the spring, and have been charging 500.00 for 2 weeks of trapping with guaranteed results for deer leases.

What most seem to overlook is during whelping season a mated pair of coyotes can take a fawn a day for over a month to feed the pups..
                            Last edited by Tuffbroadhead; 06-29-2014, 07:19 PM.

Comment

WOW!!!!! I have a newfound respect for anyone who paddles a boat of any kind!!!

We ended up doing 28 miles in a day and a half on our trapline scouting trip on the river, even with last weeks rains it was hard work and about 20% of the time was spent dragging the canoe across the sand bars and shallows.

But we did see plenty of great beaver and coon sign with a bit of otter sign tossed into the mix, but the real issue is now gaining access to those areas because they are land locked with the only public access being on each end of a 28 mile section of river.

BUT there is hope!! It seems my daughter "knows" who owns two of the seasonal mansions that sit on top of the river cliffs and I might be able to get access in the middle of the section!!

A lot of prime area that has not been touched just like last year, and its holding big numbers...

We got to spend some great father son time and even caught our own dinner....

Comment

Awesome pictures Tuff, looks like a great scouting trip

Comment

Working...
                                X