TRAPPING 2014/2015 season thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yanta61 View Post
    Dale How tall is it 8'? You might want to mount the winch on the rafter on the metal building to get you enough height to skin a coyote with it.

8 ft is twice as long as a normal coyote

I have another winch that I have used for a while that is outside the room on the main rafter that I use for deer hogs and yotes. 2500lb atv winch is only 79.00 at harbor freight brother and makes life so dang easy.

I'll post up pics later today of the base and new gambrel design I will be using this year..

Comment

If your just using it to hang them up then it will work fine, But if you’re going to make a skinning machine out of it I would think 8' is too short by the time you figure in gamble and skinning rig. I guess you could always lower it back down and re-clamp the skinning pliers. I really need to start on my because i hate skinning coyote and cats by hand.

Anyone need any info on trapping coons needs to watch this video......Its 2 hr and 15 min long but its full of everything from trapping to skinning to stretching....

You tube has granted me the ability to load this 2 hour video. Hope you learn something... There will be more to come.Follow me atAlso follow me hereFaceboo...

Comment

Ok, here is the fur shed build!!

It took me 6 days from start to finish and I'm really happy with how it turned out..

Well I got off on a GREAT start, second stud and nail glanced off a knot and through my middle finger...

Slowed down enough to clean in up and put a bandaid on it then right back to work!!!

Last edited by Tuffbroadhead; 07-22-2014, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Question.. Is there a place or Buyer for green pelts in the DFW Or within 100 miles of the DFW area ?

Comment

Originally posted by PCFM View Post
            Question.. Is there a place or Buyer for green pelts in the DFW Or within 100 miles of the DFW area ?
            Yes Sir, RP Outdoors has a buyer come to Mineral Wells.

Ronnie Lewing cell is 318-332-8710

He is pretty much the only one around unless you want to make a drive to Shreveport, LA Danny Perry Custom Furs usually has good pricing and a east texas fur route.

Comment

Looks Great! You done blooded it and broke it in. I know that stung.

Comment

And a few more pics from work this morning..

Coyote and bobcat stretchers with unistrut clamps.

Comment

nice Tuff!!

Comment

Looks good Dale...

I'd be interested in the dimensions on those stretchers if you want to take the time and measure them.

Comment

Originally posted by yanta61 View Post
                      Looks good Dale...

I'd be interested in the dimensions on those stretchers if you want to take the time and measure them.
                      I'll go out this afternoon and measure them at different spots, I'm about to order another 3 dozen, think they were 99.00 a dozen from Top Lot Strecther Co.

Comment

That's looking really good

Comment

Dale,

I have been enjoying our PM discussion.... I thought I would post this here because your answers might do someone beside me some good.

Looks like you paint your DPs... I look quickly in this thread but did not see a discussion on it. I am going to paint my DPs as they seem to rust very quickly. In the trapping rags I have read that the paint will "polish off" with a catch. I dont doubt this for a minute. What are your thoughts on preventing too much rust?

I am thinking about buying 2 doz or more bullet anchors with 18 inch or so chains and driving them in high traffic coon areas on my land. I intend to leave the anchors in forever and design a clip system to detach the DPs after season. This way the trap spends less time in the weather. Any thoughts on this?

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
                            Dale,

I have been enjoying our PM discussion.... I thought I would post this here because your answers might do someone beside me some good.

Looks like you paint your DPs... I look quickly in this thread but did not see a discussion on it. I am going to paint my DPs as they seem to rust very quickly. In the trapping rags I have read that the paint will "polish off" with a catch. I dont doubt this for a minute. What are your thoughts on preventing too much rust?

I am thinking about buying 2 doz or more bullet anchors with 18 inch or so chains and driving them in high traffic coon areas on my land. I intend to leave the anchors in forever and design a clip system to detach the DPs after season. This way the trap spends less time in the weather. Any thoughts on this?

In the very first post on this thread you will find a link to a thread about making your own simple DP anchors, you could also use them with the bullet anchors as a quick release point.
                            When you use just regular spray paint for your traps, yes it will polish off quite quickly with raccoons.
                            I used a different process to make sure the paint bonds to the metal..
                            The process and materials that I used were not cheap and there is another link in the first post of this thread that covers that also brother!

But preventing rust is a yearly process of just taking care of your traps brother...

Comment

OK peeps...I started a facebook group "Texas Trapping Talk"

Texas Trapping Talk is a place for Fur Trappers/ADC enthusiast's to gather and speak their minds in a open friendly fashion coupled with tips, tricks and great advice along the way. Unlike other places feel free to speak your mind..and make so great friends along the way..

Check it out ..and ask to be added

Comment

I joined up bud

Comment

Working...
                                X