Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elgato View Post
    THE GOATS WILL SAVE THE FARM:

Bet you never expected to see a header like that!

What I am seeing is that the goats will save the farm. I'm up to 320 now and am using them as a brush clearing tool. We mob graze them on small paddocks moving them every 3 days. Thats the key. Keeps them from overgrazing plus breaks the parasite cycle.

Over much of the farm the briars have become so thick that they choke out everything underneath much like canopied woods. Therefore the more valuable weeds, Forbes, and shrubs and grasses cant grow. The goats are opening that up allowing sunlight to hit the ground . Yet by moving them quickly there is still abundant vegetation left for deer and all else.

Another challenge/opportunity is goats seem to love tallow and are eating the young sprouts to the ground. A concern I've had is with so much open territory in the woods, tallow, privet, and gum trees would take over. Appears goats will help correct that.

I only have 15 cows now but we are in the process of buying 60 more soon. The plan is to follow the goats with the cows further opening up the brush working towards a savanah outcome...with lush herbaceous understory. WE are investigating corriente( SP? ) cows which apparently readily browse and are well adapted to woodland foraging in the Deep South.

More to come
    What type of fence do you use for the goats?

Comment

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post
      What type of fence do you use for the goats?
      3 strand electric fence . Takes no time to set up or remove. We put animals in a training pen for about a week then they honor the fence with almost no problems. One strand on the cows

I'm hardcore after deer now till end of January but intend to post on all the processes with animals and. market gardens once season ends.

Comment

THE GOATS WILL SAVE THE FARM:

I only have 15 cows now but we are in the process of buying 60 more soon. The plan is to follow the goats with the cows further opening up the brush working towards a savanah outcome...with lush herbaceous understory. WE are investigating corriente( SP? ) cows which apparently readily browse and are well adapted to woodland foraging in the Deep South.

More to come

Good choice on the Corrientes. Put a good Hereford or Beefmaster bull on them and they will through some good calves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Backwoods101 View Post
          Good choice on the Corrientes. Put a good Hereford or Beefmaster bull on them and they will through some good calves.

Good to hear that as I'm just a neophyte in the cattle world. Took a look at the Corrientes last week and are starting the negotiations to buy now.

Comment

I have one more trip to the ranch to wrap up the season. Been a fun year.Since October 1 Ive probably spent 60-75% either on the farm or at the ranch with a camera. New Years for me starts Feb 1 and will be time to focus on other things. Will start a video series on the regenerative practices we have initiated on the farm. But first will put together video from the season.

Here are a few we are leaving for another year. Crappy photos taken from video on tv. More to come.{ No idea how to get photos to post properly }
            Attached Files

Comment

I don't know why but Im have continual problems posting photos on this site????? got several more phots but they don't even show up in my photo file when I look for them

Comment

I have one more trip to the ranch to wrap up the season. Been a fun year.Since October 1 Ive probably spent 60-75% either on the farm or at the ranch with a camera. New Years for me starts Feb 1 and will be time to focus on other things. Will start a video series on the regenerative practices we have initiated on the farm. But first will put together video from the season.

Here are a few we are leaving for another year. Crappy photos taken from video on tv. More to come.{ No idea how to get photos to post properly }
                Wow! Beautiful buck!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

For reasons unknown to me this one decided to post. 7 yr old
                  Attached Files

Comment

Making progress. The old 8 pt was killed by a great friends son.164"
                    Attached Files

Comment

That top buck is something special!! Love them dark chocolate horns

Comment

Let me know if you ever what to swap some welding for a cull [emoji28]

Comment

You have some absolute tanks. Love seeing your Old Mexico deer.

Comment

I hate that sharing pictures is so difficult, but I love that you take the time to figure it out for us! Absolute hammers!!

Comment

Please Dear Lord Above let one like this walk out and be a willing sacrifice for me some day. I know your time not mine but please make is sooner than later.
                              Your Humble Servant and herd manager
                              CP
                              Amen

Comment

This is better than Xmas waiting on more pics and hopefully a video from EL Gato

Comment

Working...
                                X