No announcement yet.

'Official' 2014 Trapping Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long do you usually like to leave your yote sets out? Before pulling them?

Comment

How do yall prevent ants from getting in the cat food? SUcks....I caught 2 possums and 2 coons on my first weekend but all the traps without anything were covered in ants.

Starting to warm up so I see this problem continuing...guess I will have to use marshamellows too

Comment

Try a little Sevin around the DP, not for any in ground traps for fox, coyote or bobcat.

Comment

Originally posted by ground level View Post
          Try a little Sevin around the DP, not for any in ground traps for fox, coyote or bobcat.
          WHat will this do and what is Sevin? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by giterrell View Post
            WHat will this do and what is Sevin? Thanks
            It is an insecticide.

Comment

Originally posted by The General View Post
              Gottcha..Seems like a pain to add this to my arsenal and carry this around to 12 traps

Comment

Gottcha..Seems like a pain to add this to my arsenal and carry this around to 12 traps
                I had to look up 'sevin' as well. and I hear ya about having to add another product to the trapping arsenal. Seems like the trapping gear takes up as much as my hunting gear already, and we only just started!

Comment

Just need a smidgen, use a little dry bottle with a squirt nozzle and puff out a small amount around the DP traps. Better than trying to do so from a can of Sevin.

We had to do this to keep fire ants off M-44's for coyote trapping when I gov't trapped.

Lot a little tricks I learned trapping for the state, some that kinda blew my mind, but dang they worked like a charm! Then teaching my dad was even more amazing, things I would never do, he did and I would tell him 'you're not going to catch a coyote there' and dang if he wouldn't have one the next day! You never know.

Not much if you really look at what you're going after on items or necessities for trapping. You should be able to carry or pack what you need for the day; trap bag which includes clean cotton gloves, sod hammer, pliers, small file, trap pan covers (sandwich bags for me), dirt sifter and wisk broom. Bag of dry barn dirt, lure, urine and bait if any. Extra gloves for setting traps which are clean, not those used for placing lure or bait, urine - you need to have those separated and not come into contact with one another.

I could go one, but sure hoped to had more interest for Naza for a bunch of trappers to attend.
                  Last edited by ground level; 03-05-2014, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Just need a smidgen, use a little dry bottle with a squirt nozzle and puff out a small amount around the DP traps. Better than trying to do so from a can of Sevin.

We had to do this to keep fire ants off M-44's for coyote trapping when I gov't trapped.

Lot a little tricks I learned trapping for the state, some that kinda blew my mind, but dang they worked like a charm! Then teaching my dad was even more amazing, things I would never do, he did and I would tell him 'you're not going to catch a coyote there' and dang if he wouldn't have one the next day! You never know.
                    Thanks for the tip! Thats good to know!

Got anymore you'd like to share?

Comment

Not much if you really look at what you're going after on items or necessities for trapping. You should be able to carry or pack what you need for the day; trap bag which includes clean cotton gloves, sod hammer, pliers, small file, trap pan covers (sandwich bags for me), dirt sifter and wisk broom. Bag of dry barn dirt, lure, urine and bait if any. Extra gloves for setting traps which are clean, not those used for placing lure or bait, urine - you need to have those separated and not come into contact with one another.

I could go one, but sure hoped to had more interest for Naza for a bunch of trappers to attend.
                      Are you saying it is a powder and to squirt it out of a liquid squirt bottle? never done this that is why I am wondering.

Comment

Are you saying it is a powder and to squirt it out of a liquid squirt bottle? never done this that is why I am wondering.
                        From what I understand, it is a powder and by putting it in the squirt bottle you create a duster, kinda like the chalk to test wind direction I presume

Comment

Exactly!!

Comment

Awesome! I will have to try this. I would assume it would keep all ants out of the 1 foot circle it makes???

Comment

Try using a Tinactin bottle

Comment

Originally posted by hrdwrkncwby76 View Post
                                Try using a Tinactin bottle
                                What do you mean?

Comment

Working...
                                X