'Official' 2014 Trapping Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Texan View Post
    That trap was not tangled up but we have not added any swivels we just have the standard duke #3 with off set jaws connected to a disposable stake. Should we add on additional swivel?
    I could have been from the offset...If it caught the foot just right where it’s not as thick as the pad or toes. The foot can slide back and forth in the offset.....hopefully you understand what I’m trying to say. It happens sometimes, just depends on how the get caught.

I didn't add any swivels to mine yet, just because i didn't have any at the time. I have some now and will add one to the center of the chain on all my coyote/cat traps, So there ready for next year.

Comment

Originally posted by yanta61 View Post
      I could have been from the offset...If it caught the foot just right where it’s not as thick as the pad or toes. The foot can slide back and forth in the offset.....hopefully you understand what I’m trying to say. It happens sometimes, just depends on how the get caught.

I didn't add any swivels to mine yet, just because i didn't have any at the time. I have some now and will add one to the center of the chain on all my coyote/cat traps, So there ready for next year.
      Yeah that makes sense and is pretty much what happened I suppose. It was a very high catch which I think is a good thing? But definitely was above the entire foot and all the pads

Comment

Just got finished setting my first traps ever! Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I set 3 dp coon traps and 3 #2 duke traps
        Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393714003.798282.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	24289828

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393714019.682641.jpg
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	24289830

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393714035.324656.jpg
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	24289831

Comment

The dogs on the dps should be facing up. And if you clear your funnel area it should allow for a more natural approach for the target animal

Comment

Went out to change batteries in the game cams and spotted a dark coyote.

Sure hope I can catch it.

Also found out the coons who I have not been mad at have decided to start using my varmint guard for a jungle gym so when I get back from H it is going to be a sad deal for the little bandits

Comment

A friend set 6 traps at my place last night and caught 5 coons. That gives me 36 in 5 nights of trapping in the last month. Im going to keep whittling on them as the year goes on.

Comment

Well I went 3 for 3 on my coon traps and 0 for 3 on coyote traps. What kind of lures or scent is best for coyotes?

Comment

[ATTACH]603376[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by dreamseason View Post
                    Well I went 3 for 3 on my coon traps and 0 for 3 on coyote traps. What kind of lures or scent is best for coyotes?
                    Nice catches.

Lots of responses on this thread and the DIY trapping thread about best scents and lures.
                    Cavens Violator 7 and Predator Plus bait seem to be popular among a few others.

And like said earlier, your DP traps run the risk of a bad catch with the dog facing down like that

Comment

Originally posted by dreamseason View Post
                      What are you using now? I would think you need to remove the logs on the bottom on your sets. Coyotes don't like to be boxed in and will most likely avoid the trap. Cats can be boxed in heavy....

I'm going off the pics above..

Comment

Originally posted by The General View Post
                        And like said earlier, your DP traps run the risk of a bad catch with the dog facing down like that
                        I run all my DP's like that....I started running them this year like that to catch foxes that were messing with my traps. I really haven't noticed any difference on coons.

Comment

I run all my DP's like that....I started running them this year like that to catch foxes that were messing with my traps. I really haven't noticed any difference on coons.
                          You have been able to catch foxes in your DP's? what do you bait them with?

Comment

Originally posted by The Texan View Post
                            You have been able to catch foxes in your DP's? what do you bait them with?
                            Yes I caught 2 grey foxes earlier this season. I put a small piece of fish on the trigger, then some dry cat food, and then a spoon full of bacon bait. The traps need to be at about a 45 degree angle with the dogs facing down. The foxes will scratch out the bait and set it off.

Bacon bait is made with a box of bacon trimming , grind up the bacon and put it in a pot and render it down. Then I add lard and let it all liquefy and then add a cup of honey. then pour it into container or jars and let it cool. It will go back to looking like lard and be thick. I don’t remember how much the box of bacon weighs but I add half as much lard as bacon. So if the box is 4 lbs add 2 lbs of lard and a cup of honey.

I made this bait for coons but it worked on fox too, also caught a lot of coons this year on it.

Comment

Yes I caught 2 grey foxes earlier this season. I put a small piece of fish on the trigger, then some dry cat food, and then a spoon full of bacon bait. The traps need to be at about a 45 degree angle with the dogs facing down. The foxes will scratch out the bait and set it off.

Bacon bait is made with a box of bacon trimming , grind up the bacon and put it in a pot and render it down. Then I add lard and let it all liquefy and then add a cup of honey. then pour it into container or jars and let it cool. It will go back to looking like lard and be thick. I don’t remember how much the box of bacon weighs but I add half as much lard as bacon. So if the box is 4 lbs add 2 lbs of lard and a cup of honey.

I made this bait for coons but it worked on fox too, also caught a lot of coons this year on it.
                              Sounds easy enough. The Texan, The Cajun, and myself whipped up some cat food and fish oil that we have started using. Do you catch skunks and oppossoms on that mix as well Yanta?

Comment

Not sure on the skunks, I've caught a few this year but not sure what they were on. Most I think were with cat food and sardines. Was lucky enough not to catch a single possum this year. Now that I said that I will have one in every trap tomorrow....

Comment

Working...
                                X