2014 Pushmataha County Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Live2Hunt View Post
    Me and my oldest daughter are headed up with some guys from church to our place in Coalgate. Got lots of does moving, but not seeing many bucks. They are seeking, but can't call them in the full rut yet.

Maybe after today we will have better info. Last weekend had a mature buck feeding in a green field with 3 does peacefully. He would trot over and sniff and they would kick, he shrugged and went back to eating.

Update to follow...

(here is a buck with some character one of my buds arrowed about 100' from camp)

Character buck there. Needed culling. Good luck today!

Comment

Man I just can't win right now. Thought for sure deer would be up on their feet and feeding ahead of this rain/sleet/snow. But I haven't seen a darn thing.

Comment

That's what I would have thought as well. Wonder what's up.

Comment

Skunked on stand. Only saw 3 deer today and that was scouting a new area. Staying in a motel tonight since my 3 season tent was kinda chilly to sleep in at 30 degrees. Can't imagine what it'll be like in the 20's and below. Will hopefully not have a lot of snow and I've and will be able to drive up in the wee early hours of tomorrow morning to hang a stand.

Comment

Booner, I'm not sure what's up. I thought the rut was on the cusp of kicking off, but it seems like it might be winding down maybe.

Comment

Anyone ever here if q-all found his deer?

Comment

Originally posted by CADDOKILLER View Post
                Anyone ever here if q-all found his deer?

Nope. Haven't heard.

Comment

I spent 7 hours in the stand yesterday and saw one coyote. Same traffic for Wednesday and Thursday and the spot I hunt always has deer coming in. not sure what happened, I thought this cold weather would have them ob their feet. In fact, not a single daytime pic since Wednesday at 2pm. Maybe they are on lock down…….

Q-all what says you? Any luck?

Comment

I hate cows. Girls & I hunted morning & evening both Saturday & today and only saw one hog while on stand. Had a big boar come in solo right at last light this evening. I managed to get her ready to shoot but she was having trouble finding him in the scope. After a slight adjustment in her posture she was on him & I was just about to click off the safety when he just turned and bolted. A few minutes later several big cows come rolling in. Same cows that got ran off several times yesterday and pelted by numerous heavy rocks. Stupid cows. She only needed another few seconds and could have smoked his hunchback arse. I had to drag her out of the blind as she was determined to wait him out and was sure he was coming back! Deer movement def seemed off. Overall was a good trip & we enjoyed sitting in the sleet/snow this afternoon. Still coming down now as we are trying to get home. Did I mention I hate cows?

Comment

I hunted all last week and only shot a doe. Passed on a small buck and just missed connecting with a couple of big bucks. Both bucks were withing 20 yards but got enough wind to keep them from coming into my shooting lanes. I was up there from last Saturday through Friday morning and never saw a buck with a doe. The big bucks I saw did not appear to be interested in looking for does as well. Not sure if it already happened or not.

Comment

Update: We hunted last night in Coalgate.

Wind Speed: Gusts of 25mph
                        Temp: 24, felt like temp was 17
                        Precipitation: Snow

Four hunters and we saw one big black boar and a very young 8 pt that came in to a doe in heat scent hanger. Still can't say where we are at in the rut. I guess I would put us in the pre-rut phase with bucks seeking...

Comment

Action seemed to pick up a little today. Had a doe come flying by my setup, heard a lot of crashing in the thicket she came out of, but no buck. Had another doe blow her head off downwind of me. Saw several deer walking in around 11 (tried to still hunt around food plots with the snow on the ground prior to that). You'd think for someone that's been bowhunting for awhile that if say it was a crappy day. But I'm on public land and it's my first year out here. So to even have an idea if where the deer are on this place is a success in my book. With Lady Luck on my side I'll knock something down tomorrow and break this two year dry spell. We shall see.

And I'd have to agree with Live2Hunt's statement. I don't think the full blown rut has not kicked off in SE OKlahoma yet. Definitely some seeking going on, but every doe I saw today with the exception of the one that blew through my set, was with another doe. Saw two pair walking in, and a different pair walking out.
                          Last edited by rhendrix; 11-17-2014, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the update Ron! I'm pulling for you. Seeing deer on public land is great. Hopefully you will connect with a bruiser tomorrow.

Good luck!

Comment

Thanks buddy, if I kill a doe tomorrow, I'll be just as happy as when I shot my first buck with a bow!

Comment

Good luck any news on q-all?

Comment

Working...
                                X