Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What habitat improvements are you planning for the offseason?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Root plowing a couple of hundred acres of old fields on ranch to stimulate weed growth. Planting another 20 Dunstan Chestnuts on the farm.

Big fan of cotton seed for lots of reasons. See no negative effects. feed it alongside protein Feb-August.

Comment

I have a forestry mulcher coming out in 2 weeks to clear some trails and make 3 food plots. Followed by hinging a lot of areas to thicken bedding areas,releasing and fertilizing some bur oaks, 2 mineral licks, 2 small waterholes, cutting as many cedars in timber as I can,and hanging stands. If I can get half of this done I will be happy lol

Comment

continue year round protein for third consecutive year
        prescribed burning
        year round plots
        plant new trees, undecided what kind though

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Bryan View Post
          On one of my leases in the Trinity river bottom after it dries up enough I'm going to take the tractor in to repair the utv trails that we tore up through the season. While I'm in there I have a ratchet rake on the front bucket that I am going to open up about an acre and a half for a new food plot. Also may plant part of the pipeline in lablab and soybeans. At the house property I bought 12 acres 2 years ago and the area is loaded with deer. I have been under brushing the bottom end so I can plant a 2 acre summer plot and another 2 acre winter plot. Also I'm going to feed protein through summer and try to get some sort of water source so I can draw and hold deer.
          With the under brushing I have been doing I am starting to get some new growth and with the corn and protein I have been noticing more deer hanging around. Saturday morning I looked out the window at the house and had 18 deer in the yard. 11 does and yearlings and 7 bucks.

Comment

buried my 4 wd tractor this wk While working on opening up a larger area on existing food plot. I got it out with a 10,000lb winch with a double line. Guess I will have to postpone till things dry up dumb *** me

Comment

Working...
            X