Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What habitat improvements are you planning for the offseason?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
    My plan is to get a bit of habitat of my own.
    X2

Comment

400 more trees
      Planting milo, Sunflowers, and corn
      A NICE WARM blind

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
        My plan is to get a bit of habitat of my own.
        X3

Comment

The timber company and pipeline crew is gonna do our habitat "improvements" for us.

Comment

I just hope to be here next year.

Comment

Has anyone had any luck select cutting trees to let other trees have a better chance at growth? I'm looking at trying to get rid of some honey locust trees to try to let nearby oaks get more water and sun.

Comment

Anyone know any more about this study ???

Feeding Cottonseed to Deer
                by Charles A. DeYoung
                Reports from field biologists indicate that a growing number of deer managers are feeding cottonseed to deer. Cottonseed is cheaper per ton than protein pellets, and hogs and raccoons will not eat it. Cottonseed, while nutritious, contains a chemical called gossypol, which may have detri- mental effects on deer. Research at Texas A&M University has shown that male domestic ruminants fed high concen- trations of cottonseed for extended periods have decreased reproductive ability. Also, fallow deer fed cottonseed for an extended period had reduced antler growth. There have been no similar feeding trials in white-tailed deer.

Comment

Originally posted by huntingfanatic View Post
                  Anyone know any more about this study ???

Feeding Cottonseed to Deer
                  by Charles A. DeYoung
                  Reports from field biologists indicate that a growing number of deer managers are feeding cottonseed to deer. Cottonseed is cheaper per ton than protein pellets, and hogs and raccoons will not eat it. Cottonseed, while nutritious, contains a chemical called gossypol, which may have detri- mental effects on deer. Research at Texas A&M University has shown that male domestic ruminants fed high concen- trations of cottonseed for extended periods have decreased reproductive ability. Also, fallow deer fed cottonseed for an extended period had reduced antler growth. There have been no similar feeding trials in white-tailed deer.
                  We talked to a lot of folks (including respected biologists) when looking to switch from protein to cottonseed and this was largely dismissed as a myth for free-range deer. I was told it can be an issue in pen-raised deer where cottonseed is the major food source. In the wild, it makes up a much smaller portion of their diet (hence the term "supplemental feed program"). Also, any sterilization effect that could occur is only temporary and can be avoided by not feeding cottonseed a few weeks before and during the rut.

We switched from protein to cottonseed in 2013 and haven't looked back. It's true that pigs and coons won't eat it (or rather can't digest and it could kill them). The significant decrease in waste and cheaper feeders made it a lot easier on the pocket book while providing a great supplement that's high in protein and fat.

We continued feeding protein in the feeder pens until the deer caught on to the cottonseed and they were tearing it up after about six weeks. We stopped feeding it some time in October when the corn feeders started. Guess we'll see this summer if we have any fawns

Comment

Originally posted by Aggieivy06 View Post
                    We talked to a lot of folks (including respected biologists) when looking to switch from protein to cottonseed and this was largely dismissed as a myth for free-range deer. I was told it can be an issue in pen-raised deer where cottonseed is the major food source. In the wild, it makes up a much smaller portion of their diet (hence the term "supplemental feed program"). Also, any sterilization effect that could occur is only temporary and can be avoided by not feeding cottonseed a few weeks before and during the rut.

We switched from protein to cottonseed in 2013 and haven't looked back. It's true that pigs and coons won't eat it (or rather can't digest and it could kill them). The significant decrease in waste and cheaper feeders made it a lot easier on the pocket book while providing a great supplement that's high in protein and fat.

We continued feeding protein in the feeder pens until the deer caught on to the cottonseed and they were tearing it up after about six weeks. We stopped feeding it some time in October when the corn feeders started. Guess we'll see this summer if we have any fawns
                    Tuned into your story! Sounds like you are having great success.

The only thing I had heard about it was it was an absolute no-go for deer based on a field day at Dr. Krolls farm. But then again cottonseed doesn't pay his bills, food plots and protein feeds do.

Comment

We are finally building a high fence on a portion of the ranch. Our food plots and feeder locations will change based on this. Obviously more concentrated inside the fence with keeping some outside the fence but the outside the fence will be closer to the fence line than they are now. This move will allow us to grow out/ raise up these better genetics before releasing them to low fence part of the ranch.

Comment

Originally posted by perfectstorm View Post
                        Tuned into your story! Sounds like you are having great success.

The only thing I had heard about it was it was an absolute no-go for deer based on a field day at Dr. Krolls farm. But then again cottonseed doesn't pay his bills, food plots and protein feeds do.
                        Haha--you're exactly right. He knows a lot about deer but is very big on endorsements. His farm is near my family farm in Cushing and rode along to video for some study when we TTT'd a bunch of STX does and transplanted them to various hunting properties in ETX in the early 2000s. Just make sure if you get into cottonseed to buy the original from a gin--I hear they're coming out with "buck forage" cottonseed and it's a bit more expensive

Comment

Originally posted by Peyton View Post
                          Our local feed store has bagged cottonseed. It's not the cheapest way at around $13.50 a 50# bag, but it's a lot more convenient and reliable than dealing with bulk seed.

Peyton,

You might want to check it Mummies in Pearsall. I have been getting it for 11.00 a bag.

Comment

Originally posted by Aggieivy06 View Post

Thanks.

I tried to find some follow up research for the article and couldn't find much.

Comment

Roller Chopping & More strips. New cleaning station. 3 more free choice protein feeders....Working on rigging out a quail-deer truck.

We will feed more milo in the strips over the next 6 months or so. Quail are doing better

Comment

Originally posted by BBBGP View Post
                                Roller Chopping & More strips. New cleaning station. 3 more free choice protein feeders....Working on rigging out a quail-deer truck.

We will feed more milo in the strips over the next 6 months or so. Quail are doing better
                                What % of your land do you roller chop, and do you see a lot of deer in it during the season.

Comment

Working...
                                X