The hay field plot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, first I've seen of this thread.

Great looking spot. Hard work has paid off and will continue. It's amazing how big a 1 acre food plot looks.

Comment

Great plot, you end up taking a buck off it?

Comment

Man, that looks great. Came up nicely.

Comment

Did a little survey this morning....
          The deer have been hammering the oats, and keeping the clover down tight as well.

Comment

I'm not sure about the turnips. They seem to be growing well, but they haven't touched them. Will they eat the bulb? Not sure if I will plant them next year.

Comment

Man that looks great. I bet you will have a nice healthy heard over the winter. Hope that translate into great racks next year for you and an increased population.

Keep it up.

Comment

Turnips up in Iowa and deer go nuts. Here in Texas its just not a preferred food; but you could see them munch at it if there isn't much else around. As a biologist and fellow hunter hats off to a very nice food plot.

Comment

Starting to think about what direction I want to go this spring once the oats play out. I have noticed over the years that the white clover in my fields can last into June. So if I was to plant some peas in April-May, I would hate to kill my clover.

I just found out a friend has a no-till drill. So that is an option to spraying & discing.

Thoughts?

Comment

that plot turned out great, good work

Comment

Originally posted by Palmetto View Post
                      Starting to think about what direction I want to go this spring once the oats play out. I have noticed over the years that the white clover in my fields can last into June. So if I was to plant some peas in April-May, I would hate to kill my clover.

I just found out a friend has a no-till drill. So that is an option to spraying & discing.

Thoughts?
                      I think discing then drilling comes out better than broadcasting.. You get more of a uniform placement of seed. I think it's more efficient..

Comment

I've been thinking about getting these deer started on protein this year, but they have never eaten out of "tubes" before. So I made up this little feeder last week with the intent to just fill it with corn until they figure it out. Once they figure it out, I'll mix half & half, and eventually graduate to a big self feeder. I set it up in the plot since they frequent it every night. That was the plan.......

Checked it today, and they emptied it one night. I know there want much in the little feeder, but it didn't take them long!

Comment

Yep.. Congrats I know the feeling

Comment

Filled her up Tuesday evening with 75/25 mix of protein /corn. Protein was purina antler max weather guard 20%. They hammered it all night!

Time to get a big boy feeder!

Comment

Originally posted by Palmetto View Post

Thoughts?
                              No brainer for me....no-till the peas into the oats for sure. Let the oats get tall and then nuke it with Gly. Cut it or roll it and no-till that mother into the oat straw. Those coulters will cut through the oat straw for planting and will hold moisture alot better than discing.

Let your clover grow until June and then plant oats into it next fall....they should really take off with the free Nitrogen from the clover.

If I had a no-till drill I would never disc again.

Comment

My oats & clover are mixed! Did I mess up?
                                I guess I'll just have to mow the oats down in late march, early April, and let the clover do its thing till it gets too hot.

Comment

Working...
                                X