No announcement yet.

The hay field plot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So yesterday evening it was dry enough to disc, so I decided to plant. Lightly disced, planted, drag, and then rolled.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21380975476.707553.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	24252169

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21380975541.268251.jpg
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	24252170

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21380975577.442631.jpg
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	24252171

Comment

The hay field plot

Today I'm going to sling my clover & turnips, roll, and call it good. The dirt has some moisture in it still, so hopefully that will help if we don't get rain right away. You can see it pickng up on the roller a little. I'm hoping we get a little with this front tonight though.

It's kinda frustrating dealing with this black gumbo, and then watching all you guys with nice sandy soil work your ground with an atv! That just ain't happenin' with the BG.

Comment

Where are you at? You have the EXACT same soil and field growth as I do. Thorns and palmettos and black gumbo. I'm in magnolia on lake Creek. I was trying to finish tilling yesterday but that dang gumbo gummed me up. Gotta take a power washer an a crow bar or something to it today. Keep these pics and updates coming. I just picked up all my seeds yesterday. All the same as you except I've got some rye too. Would love to compare after they sprout up just to see what all works. Sorry to be long winded. Lookin good.

Comment

The hay field plot

Brazoria county......south west of Houston

If I woulda used the big disc, the I would be in the same boat as you !

Comment

Just got clover & turnips out, rolling one last time
            Attached Files

Comment

This should help.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21381069022.031643.jpg
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	24252468

Comment

I want a food plot bad next year.. But y'all are speaking Greek. Simple steps to turning grass field into plot?

Comment

Originally posted by Coach W View Post
                  I want a food plot bad next year.. But y'all are speaking Greek. Simple steps to turning grass field into plot?
                  Depends on the tools you have available to you. There are many different ways to do it, and lots of threads here on different methods used in different parts of the state.

Comment

We pretty well frill in 100 lbs of oats per acre and fertilize if we get good germ. You get more rain than we do. I plant about 30 acres of food plots per year, and haven't gotten much bang for buck on turnips. They come up, but deer eat evrything else (even after frost) first. Oats far superior to wheat. I have planted in marked plots side by side. Clover is good in small plots without oats. I've gotten limited growth in oat plots. Also, I turn winter plots to spring before clover can seed out. I'm no expert but do feed a lot of deer.

Comment

Good luck, I hope every thing grows for you

Comment

I got about 1/8" last Sunday . Checked it yest, and clover is only thing I could see sprouting. I'll be down there tomorrow baling hay, so I'll check it again , and take a few pics.

Comment

good deal, looks great

Comment

Cant wait to see how it turns out

Comment

We have liftoff!!!

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X