No announcement yet.

"the pasture"....long read and pic heavy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well the big 9 hit the dirt this week by a neighbor. i checked my cameras yesterday and the tall 10pt from the summer passed through last friday but nothing new to report on the big one, hoping to check the camera on the new place friday afternoon.

Comment

Dang, that sucks on the 9

Comment

Hang in there Brother, your turn is coming.

Comment

went down looking for big yesterday and only saw a 6pt in the plot, i got excited to go check the cameras, mainly the one in the back on his favorite feeder, and the SD card wont read so there are 2000+ pics from the last week that i cant look at.

i havent hunted down there much, i've been chasing a few good deer on my lease, i am hoping to get one of them down later this week and spend the weekend here looking for the ninja.

the food plot is getting hammered, the brassicas are mowed down the ground and bulbs are all but eaten away, i just need to figure out what i can do next year to keep the big boys close.

Comment

try taking a Q-tip and cleaning the ends of the SD card... I had to do that and it worked. maybe even some rubbing alcohol?

Comment

yeah thanks, i tried all that, it is not able to find the right "path" or something...talk about frustrating.

Comment

Big won again, I've had multiple cameras on 3 different properties out there and not one pic of him since September 25. Had a lady that lives next to my place tell me the other day that she was watching a "monster deer" on my place all summer, said she would see him almost every morning and every evening and that he just vanished a few months ago, she said she has only seen does lately, same thing I am seeing on the cams.

I am not sure what else to do out there, the mature bucks I feed and get hundreds of pics of all summer literally disappear before the season starts. I got one pic of that tall 10pt a few weeks ago and that's it. I didn't even get any good bucks on camera on the other properties either. They have definitely found a sage haven somewhere for the winter.

I am going to try accessing from a different spot, which will take permission from a neighbor, I must be running through them when I go out there and it's pushing them away, but unless the neighbor agrees that's my only way onto the property.

And the deer that are there are tearing the food plot up, there isn't anything over 3" tall right now. I had a plot watcher on it though and it was all does and dinks unless the big ones were only hitting it at night but they were still skirting 2 other cameras on trails/corn/scrapes if they were.

It's been another frustrating season out there.

Comment

This is what the turnip/radish patch looks like now, it was all 8 to 10" tall about a month ago. That is wheat behind it.

Comment

Dont get down. Some years are just like that. Just keep doing everything you are doing to make your place attractive and things will change to your favor. Sometimes your the nail and sometimes your the hammer.

Comment

A ML would be a good purchase. This is the time of year to kill big hungry deer.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                        Dont get down. Some years are just like that. Just keep doing everything you are doing to make your place attractive and things will change to your favor. Sometimes your the nail and sometimes your the hammer.

It will all come together!

Comment

Originally posted by d_e_smith View Post
                          A ML would be a good purchase. This is the time of year to kill big hungry deer.
                          I would in a heartbeat but no ML season up here.

Comment

What about the surrounding counties that he flees to?

Comment

Well the does and young bucks have continued to pound the food plot and the feeder but still no sign of any bucks over 4yo....we are only a week or so away from the arrival though, fingers crossed.

Just a few weeks away from food plotting too, gonna go heavy with soybeans and cow peas on about 2 acres, and pray for rain.

Comment

Just keep making your place desirable and one of the big guys will decide to hang around instead of fleeing. Keep plenty of those does around as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X