No announcement yet.

"the pasture"....long read and pic heavy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

finally got some pics of the plot yesterday, i didnt get to hunt but i am going to try to run out for an evening sit tonight.

it is filling in ok but like i said earlier, the day after we planted we had a real heavy rain and it washed a bunch of the seed down to the low areas and its obvious when i look at the pics. i hope another season of soil improvement will help. overall i thought it would be a lot thicker by now, there is some grazing on it but i still thought it would look better.

the plot is split in two pieces, each about .75 acres each, this side is BFO's with some soybeans and sugarbeets mixed in:

looking at my tree stand

this is some durana and beets that washed down to the low spots

a small "clover corner" that is really been slow to take off, like all the clover out there

and this is the other side, wheat with with turnips and radishes. this side really washed away in the rain and there is a large spot that is FULL of brassicas, no doubt will be a good place to watch after some good hard freezes later. the feeder is also on the edge of the this plot.

tracks coming into the wheat and to the feeder

the feeder is to the left and that low brassica patch is on the right

some mixed wheat and radishes

a low seed gathering spot, this is what the whole plot looks like

nice track leaving the wheat

and the brassica patch, purple top turnips and groundhog radishes

the plot is getting used pretty good all over, if i didnt have two cameras crap out on me i would have a few up around the edges.

i put out some corn yesterday on a new property to the west a little bit that i am gonna try to go sit on this afternoon. after i poured the corn out and hung the camera i found a big scrape not far away that looked like had been freshened that morning.

we'll see.

Comment

Over all things are looking pretty good. A little thin in spots but it looks like it is still getting a lot of use.

Comment

That track looks like an bull elk track...huge!

Its crazy how much rain can wash out that seed....especially on bare ground.

Have you put up a cage yet to see how much they are eating it? I did this for the first time this year and its amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
          That track looks like an bull elk track...huge!

Its crazy how much rain can wash out that seed....especially on bare ground.

Have you put up a cage yet to see how much they are eating it? I did this for the first time this year and its amazing.
          doesnt clover need a pretty high PH compared to the other stuff? i think i am still pretty low which might explain why the clover isnt doing as well as i had hoped. the clover that is coming up good in the low spots should seed and spread over time though right?

i havent put out a cage yet, i bet it would show that they are hitting it pretty good, i may stick something out there this week just to see.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
            doesnt clover need a pretty high PH compared to the other stuff? i think i am still pretty low which might explain why the clover isnt doing as well as i had hoped. the clover that is coming up good in the low spots should seed and spread over time though right?

i havent put out a cage yet, i bet it would show that they are hitting it pretty good, i may stick something out there this week just to see.
            Most clover will do great in a 6 and up pH range. I've even got some clover growing naturally on some very low pH soils ~ 5.

Yes this spring it will take off, spread, and form a seed head. It will also grow pretty good during any warm spells we get this winter.

Comment

Great story--good luck!

Comment

well, i went out and moved my old gravity feeder to the back the property and filled it up with apple corn and sweet feed, a combo the big one seemed to enjoy during the summer, and he always hit that feeder before he did anything else. i am trying all i can think of to pull him back, maybe this old feeder will be like a bat signal or something.

and the new place to the west didnt turn out too good when me and another hunter met up over my corn pile monday afternoon. seems someone is giving people permission to hunt the place even though i am pretty sure the LO isnt aware of it, he sure didnt act like anyone would be out there when i talked to him. oh well, there were 4-5 guys hunting it and i dont think the buck i am after would put up with all that anyway.

i will be hunting tomorrow just not sure if i will hunt for big or my small lease where i just got a pic of a shooter yesterday morning.

and a closer inspection of the plot showed that it is getting hit pretty hard all over, there are clipped edges everywhere, just wish that two of my cams hadnt crapped out so i could have a few up around the plot.

Comment

good luck

Comment

update?

Comment

frustrated.

lol, my 5 year old had strep this weekend so i didnt get to make it out to hunt, we went and checked cams on monday though and nothing new to report, except a big fat 6pt i have out there is now running around with an arrow sticking out of his back.

not sure what happened to the dates....

and they aint wantin for groceries, here are a couple more bucks

still not seeing any shooters on cams though, the rut is kicking on both of my leases so i am going to leave the pasture alone for a while and see what a little less pressure will do. the rut should get going out there around thanksgiving.
                      Last edited by jshouse; 11-20-2013, 10:57 AM.

Comment

also, the camera disappeared on the little place to the east of mine that i had access to, that'll **** ya off.

Comment

i found out today that neighboring anti has made an offer on this property and she wants to do something quick to avoid some taxes on her money, she is looking at 45 of the 70 acres here at a reasonable price, if anyone is interested in this shoot me a pm and maybe we can keep it out of her hands.

thanks

Comment

Nice place

Comment

well after talking to the lady last night it looks like a deal is gonna happen, i will be left with the north 22 acres of this place she doesnt allow hunting so it may not be too bad, i am going to try to work something out with her too so i can keep it how it is.

guess we'll just have to see what happens.

Comment

Good Luck

Comment

Working...
                                X