Food plot and a little work today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
    Yep I've never tried that specific mix but that's where I got the basic info from. I've modified a few things in his mix for the south but the basics are there. I miss his posts over there.

RIP Paul.
    He is still a wealth of information even after he is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Irish_25 View Post
      He is still a wealth of information even after he is gone.
      Yes he is. I go back and re-read all his many threads. They are massive.

What a wealth of knowledge from a true gentleman.

Comment

I have also read his suggestion on mixes and was rereading some just the other day. I have also adjusted the mix for E Texas. He is a good read for sure.

Comment

I'll chime in as well saying I learned a lot from him . Very helpful. I've also been corresponding with Doug Galloway. Interesting fella and his science gets over my head quickly.

Don't think they like me much on that site though. I'm the high fenced devil.
          Last edited by elgato; 08-22-2015, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
            I'll chime in as well saying I learned a lot from him . Very helpful. I've also been corresponding with Doug Galloway. Interesting fella and his science gets over my head quickly.

Don't think they like me much on that site though. I'm the high fenced devil.
            Yep he's over my head about every post.

They don't like HFs or feeders.

I read more than post over there. Lots of good info to sort through.

Comment

My place has totally missed the rains this week. It's been 51 days without rain. I mean just bone dry.

Waterhole...

Egyptian wheat screen looks pitiful...

The Texas native Alamo Switchgrass I planted is doing amazingly well considering the flood we has earlier and the drought we have now. I'm trying to partition off part of the plot so I planted a little strip of it.

It's starting to form a seed head so next year this should fill in nicely and make a nice partition.

It's supposed to take a couple of growing seasons to get it thick enough for a screen but I'm impressed with it in this drought.

I jumped 6 bucks all bedded together about 80 yards from the protein feeder today. Second time I've seen them there.

Buck bed....

I don't like them bedding that close to the plots so hopefully their pattern will change in the next month.

Comment

Update on my plots......
                Milo looks decent and the peas are about all gone. Some intermittent rain would have been nice but it just stopped after May.
                Sun hemp didnt get as tall as advertised but it still did good and the deer are still hitting it hard. I'm undecided about plowing it in and planting wheat on it vs. leaving it until frost.
                Radishes burned up and I've already disked them and all of my ground I'm going to plant wheat on. I'll try to have all of my wheat planted by sept 1st.

Comment

Ordered my Durana Clover and Chicory last night. Will get oats and cereal grains in a few weeks.

Comment

My place has totally missed the rains this week. It's been 51 days without rain. I mean just bone dry.
                    Your EW looks way better than my sorghum did before I called it a loss and mowed it down. I was hanging in with you on the dry scale but last week I got a whopping .5 per Farm Logs. Hoping that is enough to jump start the SH I have sitting ungerminted right now for a late August/early September food plot. If it actually grows and the deer don't murder it I will let it go until I plant the fall mixes in late September. I have never had an August/September food plot...so it will be interesting to see what happens.

That Alamo looks great considering all the flood trouble and lack of rain after the soaking. I keep looking for a place to plant that on my place. What kind of height are you hoping for?

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexun View Post
                      That Alamo looks great considering all the flood trouble and lack of rain after the soaking. I keep looking for a place to plant that on my place. What kind of height are you hoping for?
                      Everything I've read on it days it can reach 8-9 feet....that being said 5-6 feet would outstanding as I just want it so the deer can't see over it. That's why I bought this variety instead on Cave-in-rock or Kanlow. It's the tallest growing variety of switchgrass and the bonus is its a Texas native.

I've never had an August or early Sept food plot either....those are the months that I'm glad I feed protein and the soybean/corn mix to keep them coming in. I hope it does well for you!
                      Last edited by unclefish; 08-24-2015, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Everything I've read on it days it can reach 8-9 feet....that being said 5-6 feet would outstanding as I just want it the deer can't see over it. That's why I bought this variety instead on Cave-in-rock or Kanlow. It's the tallest growing variety of switchgrass and the bonus is its a Texas native.

I've never had an August or early Sept food plot either....those are the months that I'm glad I feed protein and the soybean/corn mix to keep them coming in. I hope it does well for you!
                        Keep us updated on the Alamo please. If it can withstand what you put it through this year, and has Alamo in the name its gotta be good. I agree on the protein this time of year...that is the missing link for my food plots every year.

Comment

Originally posted by macoop View Post
                          Update on my plots......
                          Milo looks decent and the peas are about all gone. Some intermittent rain would have been nice but it just stopped after May.
                          Sun hemp didnt get as tall as advertised but it still did good and the deer are still hitting it hard. I'm undecided about plowing it in and planting wheat on it vs. leaving it until frost.
                          Radishes burned up and I've already disked them and all of my ground I'm going to plant wheat on. I'll try to have all of my wheat planted by sept 1st.
                          Those radishes are tough in the heat for sure. I ordered 5 lbs of Daikon Radish and hopefully the deer will eat the bulbs this fall instead of just nibbling on the green tops. Those things are crazy with their early explosive growth...they will quickly shade out everything in the plot mix if the seeding rate is high.

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexun View Post
                            Keep us updated on the Alamo please. If it can withstand what you put it through this year, and has Alamo in the name its gotta be good. I agree on the protein this time of year...that is the missing link for my food plots every year.
                            Will do. I agree...Alamo = gotta be tough!

Comment

Unc,

Planning on discing in oats / Peas, then coming back over the top of that and sprinkling out chicory. Do we need to then drag the chicory after that, or will it be ok just broadcasting it and leaving it?

Comment

I've never had to drag chicory..its fine just broadcast on top. That's such a tiny seed the rain will do its thing.

Dragging wont hurt it. I don't think birds would get it either but you never know. That may be a reason to drag it.

Comment

Working...
                                X