Food plot and a little work today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cowpeas/milo

[QUOTE=unclefish;8255525]I'm doing cowpeas and milo to let the peas grow up the the milo stalk....might put some corn in too but the hogs usually eat it before it has a chance to big. They don't mess with my cowpeas.

Unclefish, what seeding rates will you be using with the cowpeas and the milo together, and do you think the milo will help with overgrazing issues that ive been reading about with cowpeas and too many mouthes to feed?

Comment

I'm gonna do 100 lbs/acre for the cowpeas using the broadcast and mow over the top method. Probably 8-10 lbs/acre for the milo.

I think the milo will help a little with protecting the cowpeas. But its more for just letting them vine and climb up and grow taller.

Comment

good deal. and do you use a drag harrow after killing the weeds and previous crops to clear the field? or just disc it into the ground IF youre not using the "mow over the top method" that you discussed previously?

Comment

Originally posted by jelizondo312 View Post
          good deal. and do you use a drag harrow after killing the weeds and previous crops to clear the field? or just disc it into the ground IF youre not using the "mow over the top method" that you discussed previously?
          Disc it in. Leave that organic matter in the field.

I'm getting antsy to take a look at my plots. Its been close to a month. I hope the Rye is getting tall.

Comment

I think I am going to do Cow Peas and Milo on the plots I can disk. I got the clover down 2 weeks ago, I hope it grows and works. I am okay if I have to reseed the clover this fall. I think I want to try Chicory too. Seems it might work great as a throw and grow type see. I have lots of area that is littered with small trees or logs. I would love to use the chicory as a way to increase the bio mass on my property, with little work.

UncleFish, can't wait for the update. I think I have read this thread 3 times now cover to cover.

Comment

Originally posted by jkelbe View Post
              I think I am going to do Cow Peas and Milo on the plots I can disk. I got the clover down 2 weeks ago, I hope it grows and works. I am okay if I have to reseed the clover this fall. I think I want to try Chicory too. Seems it might work great as a throw and grow type see. I have lots of area that is littered with small trees or logs. I would love to use the chicory as a way to increase the bio mass on my property, with little work.

UncleFish, can't wait for the update. I think I have read this thread 3 times now cover to cover.
              Chicory is outstanding to throw and grow. It has a very small seed like clover. I did some last fall like this and it came up great!

With your clover planted this spring if you start getting too much grass in it you can use a grass selective herbicide (Clethodim)...it won't harm broadleafs like clover.

I have a fear that the ice storm wreaked havoc on some trees which may have knocked some holes in my fence (cattle could get in). I hope not...but plan on making a trip up there this week.

Comment

Had a work day today to repair some cow damage to my feed pen. Put a strand of gaucho wire across the top.

The food plots look great. Everything is grown up especially the rye so it will be great for the throw, grow, and mow method. Right now it's about 18" tall. Everything going has greened up so there is a lot to eat the woods right now.

The Clover patch was overgrown with oats.

So I mowed it to release the Clover underneath.

This Clover will really take off now.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by unclefish; 03-21-2014, 07:58 PM.

Comment

The deer are still using the clover/oats patch even though its getting tall.

Got alot of these dudes too...
                  Last edited by unclefish; 03-21-2014, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Had a doe bed down in the clover...

Probably gonna plant in 2-3 weeks when the rye gets even taller....if I can find some cow peas before then.

Comment

man that looks great, i am interested to see how the new planting method works out. i would try it but my plot has been kept mowed down to about an inch tall all winter, wont be able to mow it so i am going to have to disc it.

Comment

unclefish, you may want to try lyssey & Eckel Feed. Also, you could try Pogue Agri Partners. they had I&C and red ripper cowpeas. Just got several bags the other day from
                        - Since 1945 -Lyssy and Eckel manufactures quality cattle feeds, deer feeds, show calf feeds, show lamb feeds, show goat feeds, horse feeds, cottonseed cubes, range cubes, minerals and custom formulations. We are proud to serve Texas and New Mexico ranchers and hunters.Cattle FeedsLearn MoreDeer FeedsLearn MoreShow FeedLearn MoreEquine FeedLearn MoreSheep & Goat FeedLearn MoreCustom FeedLearn MoreTubsLearn MoreGrainLearn MoreLyssy & ... Read More

Sbobet login merupakan link daftar judi bola resmi terbesar didunia sekarang para bettor bisa akses live chat sbobet 24 jam nonstop main taruhan judi bola euro 2024.

Comment

That's probably a little too far for me birddoggin...thanks. I need to check with my Co-op and see if they are in yet. I think last year it was around April 1st when they came in.

jshouse yeah I'm curious to how it will work too. Hopefully it will be a good moisture year.

Comment

Looking good mr. fish. My oats are also knee high, and going to seed. I need to mow them, as the clover is coming on strong underneath.

We have allot of native clover in our pastures, so Im not sure how much they will use my plot. I'm just gonna shred it, and see what happens.

Comment

Yeah, our Oat patch was mowed down but apparently has grown up past 3 months. Too wet for me to get the tractor back there to plant some clay peas/Soybeans, so I guess I'll just let the oats go to June then turn the cows on it....Oats provide any protein value if we just let them go to June?

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexasMan View Post
                                Yeah, our Oat patch was mowed down but apparently has grown up past 3 months. Too wet for me to get the tractor back there to plant some clay peas/Soybeans, so I guess I'll just let the oats go to June then turn the cows on it....Oats provide any protein value if we just let them go to June?
                                Hey ETM...the best info I can come up with is 11-14% crude protein for oat plants. I think it depends on what stage of growth they are in.
                                Last edited by unclefish; 03-24-2014, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X