No announcement yet.

Food plot and a little work today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That duck picture is great! Is the water receding any or still coming up or can you tell?

Comment

Rising many an inch a day but holding pretty steady. It won't recede until they release water from the lake and the brazos is so full that won't be for a while.

Comment

UF, I read where Elgato hopes to replant maybe after June 8 after the red River drops but I am wondering if I reseed here in e Texas if the seeds would burn up from late June and July heat. I was thinking the roots might not be deep enough to keep from drying up? I have around 6 acres that could be planted in soybeans, sunn hemp and iron clay peas if it ever dries up. right now it is all mud. All this hit right after I mowed. I am thinking I might go ahead a replant but at the prices of sunn hemp and eb soybeans I might just store it till next yr. And just do my fall planting in those 6 acres that is to muddy rite now. But then again the good lord made me hiper so i might get some more seed in the ground i hope u get your crops dry in where your new high water is.

Comment

Hey UF. Got a question. I plan to put some fertilizer down on the plots soon. I know you are supposed to time it with rain like planting so you dont burn up the plants. How long do you think it can go without rain before burning up the plot? I was thinking about maybe throwing fertilizer this weekend, but they arent calling for rain again till end of next week. Just curious on your thoughts. Or am I over thinking and burning it only applies to certain fertilizers like chicken droppings.

Comment

Originally posted by deer farmer View Post
            UF, I read where Elgato hopes to replant maybe after June 8 after the red River drops but I am wondering if I reseed here in e Texas if the seeds would burn up from late June and July heat. I was thinking the roots might not be deep enough to keep from drying up? I have around 6 acres that could be planted in soybeans, sunn hemp and iron clay peas if it ever dries up. right now it is all mud. All this hit right after I mowed. I am thinking I might go ahead a replant but at the prices of sunn hemp and eb soybeans I might just store it till next yr. And just do my fall planting in those 6 acres that is to muddy rite now. But then again the good lord made me hiper so i might get some more seed in the ground i hope u get your crops dry in where your new high water is.
            What fun would not planting be?

I would think with all the moisture in the ground that the risk of newly planted warm season legumes drying up would be minimal. You could always plant a little deeper than normal to make sure it gets the deeper moisture if it does turn to a scorcher.

They finally opened up the floodgates (partially) at Somerville so the lake is dropping very slowly. So my plots won't be a total loss...just half a loss. Already ordered some more EW to replant the screens that were ruined by the high water. I don't think my Durana clover is gonna survive being under 2 feet of water for a week....so I'll just replant it this Sept.

Comment

Originally posted by Nailhead View Post
              Hey UF. Got a question. I plan to put some fertilizer down on the plots soon. I know you are supposed to time it with rain like planting so you dont burn up the plants. How long do you think it can go without rain before burning up the plot? I was thinking about maybe throwing fertilizer this weekend, but they arent calling for rain again till end of next week. Just curious on your thoughts. Or am I over thinking and burning it only applies to certain fertilizers like chicken droppings.
              If the plants are pretty young you can definitely burn it by putting down fertilizer and getting no rain. The N is the problem with burning (salt).....not so much the P & K.

If your plants are bigger and established you can probably get away with applying a little fertilizer and waiting a while....you might get some leaf burn but I wouldn't fertilize it heavy until rain chances were good. 50lbs per acre (13-13-13) is probably to max I would go on established plants.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                If the plants are pretty young you can definitely burn it by putting down fertilizer and getting no rain. The N is the problem with burning (salt).....not so much the P & K.

If your plants are bigger and established you can probably get away with applying a little fertilizer and waiting a while....you might get some leaf burn but I wouldn't fertilize it heavy until rain chances were good. 50lbs per acre (13-13-13) is probably to max I would go on established plants.
                Rgr that. Thanks. Thats actually the number I was planning to put down anyway. Goes along with my reports from the fall. And since I didnt throw any like I should have I figured I would try to make it happen this spring.

Comment

Any updates Uncle Fish? Still fishing in the food plots? I didn't make it to our place this weekend, so I have to live vicariously through your posts.

Comment

I didn't go this weekend because the lake was still way up...dropping slowly.....about a foot every 4 days. The water should be off the plots by this weekend so I'll go assess the damage and replant part of my EW screen.

Comment

Well the lake dropped to about 18 feet high which means all of my plots were probably out of the water but now is rising again from Bill. The EW and Sunn hemp should be good but clover has drowned.

So not much to update other than its a flood.

This is a thick area that the bucks bed in. Has 3 feet of water on it in spots.

My normal creek crossing spot.

Comment

Dang, that is brutal. Hope it gets back to normal sooner than later. Hang in there!

Comment

Man oh man, hope it drains soon. Clover ain't cheap.

Comment

What a mess the plots are. I did manage to get back there and fill both protein feeders. Check out the feeder lid.

I think the wood ducks may eat as much as the deer.

The screens that aren't underwater look great 3-4 feet tall and growing.

Last edited by unclefish; 06-20-2015, 02:51 PM.

Comment

This is the clover plot...

I did manage to get in the plot to mow the 2 foot tall grass that has invaded.

This a my feeder in the woods which I thought would never have water in it...lol.

Not a lot of deer pics since the protein ran out a few weeks ago but should have some next time since I could access them with my tractor this time.
                              Last edited by unclefish; 06-20-2015, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Your plots that aren't underwater look great. Maybe you could open a new duck hunting preserve if the water doesn't recede. ha ha I just thought that I had a bunch of water on my place............mine is already gone and I didn't lose near as much as you did.

Lookin good!

Comment

Working...
                                X