No announcement yet.

Food plot and a little work today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks fantastic. Definitely something for me to work toward. I have to compete with horses which sucks but I'll be moving to out ranch on Friday so I can really get some work done now. Fences first!! Question.....I planted Durana Whit Clover just a few weeks ago as it was coming up but is completely gone. Pretty sure horses destroyed it; will it come back up if I get it fenced to protect it or is is literally destroyed?

Comment

Originally posted by SouthTX1911 View Post
      Looks fantastic. Definitely something for me to work toward. I have to compete with horses which sucks but I'll be moving to out ranch on Friday so I can really get some work done now. Fences first!! Question.....I planted Durana Whit Clover just a few weeks ago as it was coming up but is completely gone. Pretty sure horses destroyed it; will it come back up if I get it fenced to protect it or is is literally destroyed?
      Honestly I think its probably toast if its completely gone at this early stage. Usually after its established for a whole growing season it will come back but I really don't think it will after it dies in its most vulnerable stage.

I'm not 100% sure though.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
        Honestly I think its probably toast if its completely gone at this early stage. Usually after its established for a whole growing season it will come back but I really don't think it will after it dies in its most vulnerable stage.

I'm not 100% sure though.
        I was afraid you'd say something along those lines. I've got plenty more seed and I can plant again after fence goes up no problem. How late can clover be planted? This is my first year doing plots and I've got lots of work to do to reach my goals and lots of money to save to get some good equipment

Comment

I was afraid you'd say something along those lines. I've got plenty more seed and I can plant again after fence goes up no problem. How late can clover be planted? This is my first year doing plots and I've got lots of work to do to reach my goals and lots of money to save to get some good equipment
          If replant bro. If it gets rocked that hard at early stage it don't come back in my experience

Comment

Great info

Comment

I think it would be fine to replant now before it gets too cold to germinate.

I'm not positive what temp Durana will germinate at. Let me look it up.

Comment

Awesome. I'll be doing that then.

Comment

A few more plot pics. They are keeping everything mowed compared to the cage.

Kale

Rye/Oats

Lots of use everyday...

Comment

Makes you feel good when they fill up the field don't it!

Comment

Originally posted by Roscoe View Post
                      Makes you feel good when they fill up the field don't it!
                      Yes it do!!

Comment

I love this string. I planted 2-3 acres of oats with chicory mixed in this last weekend. I got it in later than I wanted, but better late than never. When do you fertilize your perennial plots?

Comment

Here are a couple of pics of my clover with light wheat plot.
                          Can anyone identify the dark green ground-cover plant in my close up picture? It is very prominent.

Learned a lot from this thread. Thanks for everyone's input.

-Joe
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Kcwwcb View Post
                            I love this string. I planted 2-3 acres of oats with chicory mixed in this last weekend. I got it in later than I wanted, but better late than never. When do you fertilize your perennial plots?
                            I fertilize my clover in the spring and fall. It doesn't need Nitrogen so you could do a 0-1-3 ratio fertilizer.

I just planted chicory this year and gave them a shot of triple 13 about 2 weeks ago.

Your stuff should do great with all the rain and lack of cold weather!

Comment

Originally posted by jmangrem View Post
                              Here are a couple of pics of my clover with light wheat plot.
                              Can anyone identify the dark green ground-cover plant in my close up picture? It is very prominent.

Learned a lot from this thread. Thanks for everyone's input.

-Joe
                              Can't see it good enough to tell. One portion of my plot has some weeds in it...but the first freeze we get it will be toast. The deer don't mind a few weeds!

Comment

I just read all 11 pages, and there is a lot of good information here. Your place looks great uncle fish. I am going to send you a pm with some questions if you don't mind!

Comment

Working...
                                X