No announcement yet.

Food plot and a little work today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cant wait to see how your mineral spot turns out. The only thing I could find on you tube was how to apply it, nothing came up as far as deer visiting the site.

Comment

Oh my.....

Comment

You're growing some healthy looking pigs.

Comment

You should set up a round pen trap around that feeder.

Comment

If those pigs learn that if they bump the feeder, feed will fall out, they will clean it out quick. If they don't tip over the whole feeder and trample it.

Comment

I think they like it!

Comment

Originally posted by txjustin View Post
                You should set up a round pen trap around that feeder.
                Agree! But prolly a nearby corn feeder if they are coming to that! Pork is selling high now

Comment

I'll slay some pigs for you if needed! haha They're rolling in the mineral sight.

Comment

YUK, I agree , set a large round pen trap and catch them all.

Comment

So I'm trying a new clover this year called...Balansa Fixation. Looks promising for Texas because of its heat/drought tolerance and massive roots systems. I love Durana but have never had it grow past early June. It goes dormant. Gonna try this one in a different spot and see how it does.....ordered the seed last week.

FIXationN Balansa clover is a new Bio-Massive clover like no other. Drought tolerant FIXationN clover increases cash crop yields by nourishing the soil and reducing water needs.

I normally plant all my clover in the fall because it gives better spring growth but I'm gonna try frost seeding this one shortly (if we get another freeze lol).

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                        So I'm trying a new clover this year called...Balansa Fixation. Looks promising for Texas because of its heat/drought tolerance and massive roots systems. I love Durana but have never had it grow past early June. It goes dormant. Gonna try this one in a different spot and see how it does.....ordered the seed last week.

FIXationN Balansa clover is a new Bio-Massive clover like no other. Drought tolerant FIXationN clover increases cash crop yields by nourishing the soil and reducing water needs.

I normally plant all my clover in the fall because it gives better spring growth but I'm gonna try frost seeding this one shortly (if we get another freeze lol).
                        That looks very interesting!! I may pick some up!

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post

This is interesting. I am down to try, my deer loved the clover plot last year.

Comment

Decided to put some teeth on my FEL bucket.

Its amazing how it turns the bucket a digging machine....absolutely amazing difference. Wish I would have done this years ago.

I decided to frost seed the Balansa Fixation clover today and the bucket teeth did great at clearing/prepping the seed bed. I didn't want to disc this very heavy so the teeth worked perfectly at scratching the first inch of topsoil.

Before

After

The Solo spreader works great for small plots and small seed like this.

Clover seed has a coating on it.

Will let mother nature do her thing with frost seeding. It was 34 degrees when I left the farm and tonight should be a good freeze/frost.
                            Last edited by unclefish; 02-27-2015, 02:09 PM.

Comment

what is the idea behind frost seeding? When normally is that seed planted?

Comment

Good question.

Frost seeding is used to work small seeds into the earth. The freeze/thaw action enables the seed on top of the soil to work into the soil perfectly. It also helps to break down the tough seed coat and is supposed to give you better germination.

Alot of food plotters up North use this method. Some even broadcast on top of snow and then as it melts over time the seed will work into the soil.

Normally I would plant this clover in the fall for best results...but it you didn't fall plant it frost seeding is the next best thing. For normal spring clover planting I would have planted around Mid-March.

I think we have a couple more freezes to go this year looking at the forecast. Will see how it turns out.

Comment

Working...
                                X