No announcement yet.

Food plot and a little work today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congratulation's buddy! Good lookin buck and well deserved!

Comment

Gorgeous, did you kill during his mid morning snack of Kale?

Comment

I have a buddy who tills the ground each year in a sandy soil, and then drils the oats in and has awesome results! His plots looks full and green like the one Rodgers posted above.

No fertilizer, dragging, or lime. he sent me a pic the other day and its as green and full as it can be.

Now my ? is....He hunts 800-900 yards from me. With this implying that we have good soil, would clover/kale also come up the same this way?

CONGRATS ON THE BUCK!!! That is a very nice one.

Comment

did you age/score him?

I am guessing low 120's and 4.5

Comment

Thanks.... Killed him on a trail that leads to the plots.

Comment

Dang, I won't be able to hunt till Sat night, hoping they keep hammering the food after chasing all that tail.

Hope to find one just as nice too. Congrats again. You need to update the avatar with both bucks some how.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                I have a buddy who tills the ground each year in a sandy soil, and then drils the oats in and has awesome results! His plots looks full and green like the one Rodgers posted above.

No fertilizer, dragging, or lime. he sent me a pic the other day and its as green and full as it can be.

Now my ? is....He hunts 800-900 yards from me. With this implying that we have good soil, would clover/kale also come up the same this way?

CONGRATS ON THE BUCK!!! That is a very nice one.
                Don't drill the kale and clover. Just broadcast. It just needs to sit on top of the soil. Good seed to soil contact is needed. So either lay a thatch down on top, or disc/till the ground before hand.

Comment

Congrats on your buck. Glad your hard work paid off.

Comment

Great buck! Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by jkelbe View Post
                      Don't drill the kale and clover. Just broadcast. It just needs to sit on top of the soil. Good seed to soil contact is needed. So either lay a thatch down on top, or disc/till the ground before hand.
                      So disc the ground then all 3 can be broadcast on the soil and drug over?

This area has alot of matted up grass/vegetation so I think discing is essential for the seed to touch the ground

Comment

The other guys will have to confirm, but if you are going to do oats, kale, and clover. Then I think your best method would be to kill the grass first with gly(round-up), if it is thick like you say. Then if it is tall and thick, for this first time, I personally would mow it. Then disc. Then broadcast your oats. Then drag. Then broadcast your clover and kale on top. The kale is a little bigger so it might not hurt it to be drug over, but the clover is tiny so you definitely want to broadcast it last and on top of everything else. The rain will work it into the soil.

That's my .02 and what I understand. What I did this first time around cause I was late to the game was disc and then broadcast my chicory, kale, and clover on top. I didn't drag or anything. I probably should have before broadcasting the seeds now with hindsight. But oh well. I haven't been back up to the place since the rain to see if it's coming up or not. Probably won't make it up until after Thanksgiving.

Comment

Went to my land today to do a little work.

I don't have a good road so I had 28 yds of crushed sandstone brought in to fill in some holes that are unpassable when it's wet.

Also cut some mesquite firewood and tried out my new Stihl. Cuts like butter

Checked out the plots....haven't hunted back there in over 2 weeks so they are just tearing them up. Also put some 21-0-0 down to boost the cereal grains.

Last edited by unclefish; 11-21-2014, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Looks great! Gotta love a new Stihl chainsaw. I know I love mine.

Comment

Looks great!!

Comment

Looks like your having fun

Comment

Working...
                                X