Food plot and a little work today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
    Yep wheat can "drown". It starts turning yellow and then will die. Waterlogging causes the roots to stop absorbing nutrients...then photosynthesis stops....etc... its a mess. That is a crazy amount of rain in a month.
    Does the same thing occur with oats and most winter plots? Or just oats?

Thanks for the reply

Comment

UF, I've been keeping up with your progress for a year or so now. Lots of helpful info. Congrats on all your success. We will meet soon I'm sure. My son attends school with your daughter. They will be in the Christmas play together! Would love to buy you a beer and pick your brain!

Comment

Originally posted by tmstuk View Post
        UF, I've been keeping up with your progress for a year or so now. Lots of helpful info. Congrats on all your success. We will meet soon I'm sure. My son attends school with your daughter. They will be in the Christmas play together! Would love to buy you a beer and pick your brain!
        Thanks very much. Our wives know each other very well!

Will try to find you at the Christmas play and meet up!

Comment

Congrats UF...nice deer.

Comment

Neageli

Steve, I didn't know that was you! Congrats on the deer.

Comment

Originally posted by Christianhuff View Post
              Steve, I didn't know that was you! Congrats on the deer.
              Hey Chris....yep just living the dream...ha. [emoji12]

Comment

Was in Kansas last weekend and had this dude running deer all over my plot, go figure! the rain and a little fertilizer has the plot going crazy and the deer are keeping it mowed down. Love this food plot gig.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                  Does the same thing occur with oats and most winter plots? Or just oats?

Thanks for the reply
                  From what I've read and experienced Oats are more tolerant of standing water.

Comment

Bruiser right there!

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                      From what I've read and experienced Oats are more tolerant of standing water.
                      Agreed. I have a small amount of Rye on one end of my plot starting to yellow. Yet in the plot across the pasture where it is equally as saturated the oats are still green as can be! Also finding signs of lots of traffic in both plots.

Comment

Dang...good to hear and know! Always learning

I may throw some more wheat this weekend and drag over it with a fence post, if the ground is dry enough and not dragging mud

Comment

I had this deer on camera this weekend. I thought I would ask what you guys think of the red hole in his neck. Should I take this deer for fear of him dying? He's not on our shooter list this year.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by JAB71 View Post
                            I had this deer on camera this weekend. I thought I would ask what you guys think of the red hole in his neck. Should I take this deer for fear of him dying? He's not on our shooter list this year.
                            Wow, that is wicked. He appears to be in good health otherwise and from the pic it doesn't appear that there is any drainage which should mean that the wound is healing. If so, then he may already be in the clear from getting fever like they will sometimes do when they break a leg. I wouldn't take him down just because of his injury. It looks like it is in just in the muscle and not into his throat. So if he has gotten through this far, then he will likely make it as long as no serious infection sets in. Deer are extremely tough, think about all the deer that are likely walking around with arrow shafts broke off in their chest cavities and a single functional lung.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB71 View Post
                              I bet he lives

Comment

Checked on the plots and it is extremely green.

Very excited about this field full of chicory. It should last on into the early summer.

They are not eating the radishes yet.

Bulbs are not a bad size considering I planted in late October.

Overall they are eating the heck out of the rye/clover. I put an exclusion cage on it today to monitor just how much.

Comment

Working...
                                X