• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is that the groundhog max?

Comment

Yep. 3rd year for it.

Comment

Kale seed is in! 2 lbs should plant about a 1/4 acre to a half acre.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1376365335000.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	24231321

I have chicory, radish, and kale seed here at home ready to go. I still need to buy clover, oats, and elbon rye and then will be ready to plant in sept.
        Last edited by unclefish; 08-12-2013, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Thanks

Uncle, just a note of thanks. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading the thread and learning from your experiences!

Comment

Originally posted by TexasProf View Post
            Uncle, just a note of thanks. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading the thread and learning from your experiences!
            x2 i try to gather information from this thread, i hope to do the same on our property.

Comment

Thank you. I'm learning as I go too. It sure is fun to tinker...

Comment

I guess I better go buy the bob oats, what are oats running right now for 50 lbs?

Comment

So what are you guys doing for the fall? My spring summer plots are chest high.. Are you mowing, spraying, discing then planting in September?
                  Attached Files

Comment

well in mid June, mine got overtaken by the weeds and so I weed poisoned them, then shredded them...You should be able to just shred/disc because not much grass grows in fall.

Comment

Originally posted by jtaubrey View Post
                      So what are you guys doing for the fall? My spring summer plots are chest high.. Are you mowing, spraying, discing then planting in September?
                      jtaubrey that looks great! How are they eating it?

There are alot of ways to do it. Mow it short and let it die. Wait about 2 weeks and spray any regrowth.

or

You don't have to mow it....just spray it then disc. Its probably a wash either way.

Planting in Sept is tricky because its still warm and the warm season weeds and grasses still germinate well. I always try to spray so my fall crops will have very little competition....later in the fall when its cool all the warm season plants will die out but I like to give my fall planted crops every advantage starting out.

Every time you disc you bring more seeds in the seed bank to the top to germinate when its warm. So I try to avoid discing when I can...sometimes its not avoidable though.

Comment

What weed killer do you spray yours with? We just put some seeds in the ground last weekend on a new section of our pipeline that they widened on our lease so we had bare dirt there. However, we have another area we want to plant but it needs to be mowed and sprayed first. This is our first year planting so we are still in the learning stages trying to get it figured out.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                          jtaubrey that looks great! How are they eating it?

There are alot of ways to do it. Mow it short and let it die. Wait about 2 weeks and spray any regrowth.

or

You don't have to mow it....just spray it then disc. Its probably a wash either way.

Planting in Sept is tricky because its still warm and the warm season weeds and grasses still germinate well. I always try to spray so my fall crops will have very little competition....later in the fall when its cool all the warm season plants will die out but I like to give my fall planted crops every advantage starting out.

Every time you disc you bring more seeds in the seed bank to the top to germinate when its warm. So I try to avoid discing when I can...sometimes its not avoidable though.
                          They are eating it pretty well, I don't have cameras on this section but others they are hitting. We disced and planted mid September last year and they did alright here is a pic of the other one...
                          Attached Files

Comment

I used Grazon

Comment

Generic roundup.

Comment

I use generic glyphosate 41% concentrate.

2 quarts mixed in with 15-20 gallons of water will cover an acre.

Comment

Working...
                                X