No announcement yet.

Food plot and a little work today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am undecided on what to do. I disked last year and lightly disked over the seeds and I didn't get good germination. I think a lot of that was because no rain for 21 days. What you think?

If you had that option, or the mow/thatch method or using a grain drill what would yall do? This is sandy soil

I plan on doing it before a rain hopefully in mid to late september

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
      I am undecided on what to do. I disked last year and lightly disked over the seeds and I didn't get good germination. I think a lot of that was because no rain for 21 days. What you think?

If you had that option, or the mow/thatch method or using a grain drill what would yall do? This is sandy soil

I plan on doing it before a rain hopefully in mid to late september
      Could have been you disked the seed in to deep. Lack of rain shouldn't have had made any difference.

Comment

No. I barely scratched the surface and my neighbor does it every year with great success and he helped me.

So if the seed sits in the ground for 21 days without rain that won't affect germination or survival rates? Seems like some of them would germinate and die without rain

Comment

can wheat drown out? We planted 2.5 acres of wheat, it came up and then we got like 10 inches of rain and had some water standing in spots and 1 week later it was all dead and gone for that plot

Comment

No. I barely scratched the surface and my neighbor does it every year with great success and he helped me.

So if the seed sits in the ground for 21 days without rain that won't affect germination or survival rates? Seems like some of them would germinate and die without rain
            Did you fertilize at all? Year before last I didn't fertilize and my plot was crap. I had good pH but lacking in most other nutrients. It is sandy loam after all. But last year when I threw fertilizer and seed, I too didn't have rain for better than 2 weeks and once we got rain the plots came in great. Especially the rye and oats. I think more than anything you have to worry about with the seed just sitting there is insects and birds picking it out before a rain plants it and it starts to sprout. But that is just my uneducated guess.

can wheat drown out? We planted 2.5 acres of wheat, it came up and then we got like 10 inches of rain and had some water standing in spots and 1 week later it was all dead and gone for that plot
            Yes you can drown wheat. We nearly drowned quite a bit of our oats and rye last year with those massive rains we got last year as you did. Some of it started turning brown on us, but I think we were lucky enough that the pasture drains fairly well so the impact was small and it made a comeback.

Comment

Originally posted by Nailhead View Post
              Did you fertilize at all? Year before last I didn't fertilize and my plot was crap. I had good pH but lacking in most other nutrients. It is sandy loam after all. But last year when I threw fertilizer and seed, I too didn't have rain for better than 2 weeks and once we got rain the plots came in great. Especially the rye and oats. I think more than anything you have to worry about with the seed just sitting there is insects and birds picking it out before a rain plants it and it starts to sprout. But that is just my uneducated guess.

Yes you can drown wheat. We nearly drowned quite a bit of our oats and rye last year with those massive rains we got last year as you did. Some of it started turning brown on us, but I think we were lucky enough that the pasture drains fairly well so the impact was small and it made a comeback.
              Ok makes sense then. Yes I think birds may have eaten some. I have 3 spots, I may disk up 2 of them and then grain drill them and I may use just the disking method on the 3rd. Trial and error so I know next yEAR

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexasMan View Post
                Are these prices good if I go up there next week and just buy 10 bags from them? Are bob Oats still $16 a bag that way?
                Update: I just called producers and they said they have plenty so I'm going to swing by next week and pick up 15-24 bags depending if we plant the back section.

going Cereal Rye / Oats / Wheat Mix
                So these are the prices if we go in 1-2 weeks and just call to make sure they have some? Or these prices only good if you fill out and go thru this paperwork?

I think I want to do oats/wheat/elbon rye this year also....thinking about possibly clover or something else to add to the mix but not sure.

Or maybe oats and ER in 1 plot and wheat and ER in the other.

Comment

Originally posted by Dushon View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Where is this Co-Op located? I'm looking for a good seed company to purchase from this year. Thinking I may have been buying older seeds from local seed companies with poor results. I would like to find one with good seeds ( and prices) that I could pick up instead of paying shipping charges. I have had really good luck with Turner Seeds but shipping charges are very high and their location is 6 hours from me.
                  I live 30 minutes NE of Houston.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' G Ranch View Post
                    Where is this Co-Op located? I'm looking for a good seed company to purchase from this year. Thinking I may have been buying older seeds from local seed companies with poor results. I would like to find one with good seeds ( and prices) that I could pick up instead of paying shipping charges. I have had really good luck with Turner Seeds but shipping charges are very high and their location is 6 hours from me.

I live 30 minutes NE of Houston.

They are in bryan

Comment

Dushon, thanks for the quick reply. Do you know their name and address? Thanks.

Comment

Dushon, thanks for the quick reply. Do you know their name and address? Thanks.
                        I found it!! Thanks!!

Comment

I found it!! Thanks!!

No problem man!

Comment

Uncle fish we been under water since October but finally receded... What's left? Rich wet blackland [emoji106]

Comment

I know u like that homemade gas cap tool

Comment

Uncle fish we been under water since October but finally receded... What's left? Rich wet blackland [emoji106]

Man that looks good. I'm sure it changes the soil structure for the better.

Sent from my GS7

Comment

Working...
                                X