Small HF Property, Pro-Con

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
    High fence places usually trade for a higher price per acre. At $10+ a foot for the fence cost sellers recoup some of that cost on the sale.

I rather have 200 acres low fence than 110 acres high fence.

and no way would I tear down a high fence and pay for a low fence.
    I think I’d keep looking
    200 acres low fence IF surrounded by a large or a couple of large ranches.
    We fenced our place and have no regrets. We started with about 15 native whitetails and added some axis and fallow.

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post

200 acres low fence IF surrounded by a large or a couple of large ranches.
      We fenced our place and have no regrets. We started with about 15 native whitetails and added some axis and fallow.
      We have 320 acres that has about 12 smaller places around it, can’t wait to put up a fence

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
        High fence places usually trade for a higher price per acre. At $10+ a foot for the fence cost sellers recoup some of that cost on the sale.

I rather have 200 acres low fence than 110 acres high fence.

and no way would I tear down a high fence and pay for a low fence.

I think I’d keep looking
        This exactly. Also one thing to keep in mind is during major drought yrs your gonna have to feed an extreme amount of supplemental feed if you have any variety of game on their. I hunted on a 100ac HF place near Greune many yrs ago and it was by no means a gimme hunt but would I want to hunt that everyday, no. Like said above I'd rather hunt 100-200ac low fence, heck I'd even hunt 50-75ac low fence preferably if it has bigger neighbors than 100ac HF. I'd keep looking as well.

Comment

"whether you get bored on 110 acres?"

It can be boring seeing the same deer all the time. But it can also be really fun growing them. And they can be very challenging to hunt, especially if you go bow-only or go to traditional bow, as I have done. Fwiw, I ended up shooting some whitetails with a rifle this year just to reach our harvest goals. The axis herd is wild and they are very difficult to bow hunt. I'll probably have to shoot a couple of them with a rifle this year too or trap and sell some just to keep the numbers in check. I bought some fallow with the intention of hunting but decided to get in to raising them instead. I got some really nice breeder fallow and they are really fun to watch. If you just want a lower maintenance place for hunting and not interested in raising deer, you will probably become bored with it.

"the other is that don't get to see a lot of deer? " When it's really green we might be see 1-5 deer per sit but some days you can see almost every deer on the place. Just depends on range conditions and cover. Our place is very thick and has a lot of varied terrain. There are very few areas you can see more than 125 yards.

"and then do the deer become pets?" Our fallow can be fed from the Ranger. Everything else is wild as hell. I have some deer I haven't seen in months except on trail camera.

Comment

Working...
          X