No announcement yet.

Protein feeder placement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a thought. Every time I drive in there to fill/ check it I would spread some corn. Every time. Local does are so easy to train when they are hungry.

I try to stay out of my little hunting area near bedding area except when it’s necessary. And I always trip the feeder.

Comment

Just being honest here - we have fed protein for many years on a large ranch. From my experience feeding protein on 30 acres is a waste of money. Protein is designed to improve your deer herd - on 30 acres deer are on and off your property traveling. You will not improve the quality of your bucks by putting out one protein feeder on this size property. Instead I would feed corn year round just to try to keep the deer nearby. Hate to see someone waste money

Comment

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post
        Just being honest here - we have fed protein for many years on a large ranch. From my experience feeding protein on 30 acres is a waste of money. Protein is designed to improve your deer herd - on 30 acres deer are on and off your property traveling. You will not improve the quality of your bucks by putting out one protein feeder on this size property. Instead I would feed corn year round just to try to keep the deer nearby. Hate to see someone waste money
        Appreciate the honesty Huntingfool. I debated it myself. I am figuring I will try it out and see what happens. I am also trying to establish a few small food plots as well. Maybe once those are established I can switch to just feeding corn for an attractant. That is part of the fun of this land is figuring things out. It is often a bit overwhelming, but we will just go at it one step at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post
          i agree with this. But I still feed on our small place.
          Not enough to make a big difference, but something extra during the worst parts of the year (late winter and summer drought)
          Food plots are a great idea and more fun/rewarding. Most sweat equity. Especially with no till. Food plots I would definitely create “”out of sight” and as big as possible.
          i have permanent mineral spots as an added attractant.
          a small earthen tank to form a hidden waterhole is a great deer habitat improvement.

Comment

Looking at that long narrow strip. My strategy would be put where you have the heaviest deer trails closer to that creek in the middle of your property. Might as well put it where you can watch it from a stand. They dont have to move much to leave your place so get a big one and make it a place the enjoy hanging out and getting full bellies.

Comment

Working...
            X