Protein feeder placement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protein feeder placement

How do you determine the best place for a protein feeder on small properties? It is a long skinny 30 acres that is 90% woods and creek that passes through the bottom third. Should I place it more centrally located on the property, closer to bedding or water? Being a smaller property does it even matter? Curious what everyone's strategy is on their placement.
    Last edited by TX83; 01-29-2024, 03:38 PM.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wildlife map.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	26706283 Here is an outline of the property. East side and most of the West is solid woods as well, with South end opening into pasture.

Comment

Smack dab in the middle!

Comment

That was my first inclination.

Comment

Originally posted by PassnItOn View Post
          Smack dab in the middle!
          This ^^^^^^

Comment

I would put it where no one could see it especially when vegetation is “down” and not near my hunting spots.
            Not in a bedding area and where water is real close on your side of the fence

Are the deer familiar with protein? Some corn may be required to train them in my experience. .

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
              I would put it where no one could see it especially when vegetation is “down” and not near my hunting spots.
              Not in a bedding area and where water is real close on your side of the fence

Are the deer familiar with protein? Some corn may be required to train them in my experience. .

Not too much to add. My first thoughts were closest to water on your place, especially if water is a major draw for you. If you are on 30 acres it probably doesn't really matter as far as deer finding and eating it though so I would honestly put it where it is convenient for you to get to (good road, easy to build a pen if necessary, etc.). No need to overthink it.

Comment

x2 with ^^^^^

Comment

I'd put it about 17 yards from my bow stand.

Comment

I believe the big advantage I have is no one hunts on the surrounding properties, so I am hoping to draw in those deer. I am thinking I have a decent spot just about in the middle of the property that I cleared out a bit before season. It is pretty close to water and easy to get to.
                    This past season was our first here and I have not fed anything, so I will mix some corn in it to hopefully get them used to it. Thanks for the advice fellas.

Comment

I’d put it within a 100yds from of water

Comment

What protein are you going to feed? I had considered feeding protein in the past but decided against it because my acreage is small (about 50 acres) and lots of hunting pressure all around on my neighbors properties.

Comment

Purina Antlermax is what I am trying and mix it with corn to start out.

Comment

I setup trail cam smack in the middle a property we’ve never been to til this yr. Figured I’d see what was traveling on the trail. Saw does and one or two young bucks. A week later set up a small 80lb protein feeder on a t post. And got these boys to start grouping up. And then the big boys started coming in to feed. Started off with 1/2 bag Sportman’s choice record Rack sportman 20 and 1/2 bag of Tree line 50/50. And threw in some big & J attraction supplement.
                            Attached Files

Comment

That’s encouraging Brush Country. I hope to have the same luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X